How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17826
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Abby,, 30 years old, from US but currently travelling in Rio

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Abby, I'm David, 30 years old, from US but currently travelling in Rio and have had white patches in my stool for the past 3 days. I also have some type of upper respiratory infection for the last 2 days.
I'm trying to rule out hepatits/giardia.
2 days ago - single 8x1 cm white patch
1 day ago - 4 2x1 cm white patches
today - 2 1x1 cm white patches
I do not have diarrhea, and I do not have any abdominal pain at all. I am intermittently constipated but this is a pre-existing condition that is regulated with miralax OR squatting - due to redundant colon/nerve issue.
Biggest difference to my diet has been more bread, more sugar - A few days ago, I had caipirinhas - an alcoholic beverage that also contains a lot of sugar - Definitely a change of pace for me as I usually only drink gin or vodka, unmixed.
I have always drank bottled water.
I really appreciate your help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
It seems your requested expert is not on line.
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
From your history, those seem to be segments of worm or tape worm.
This can cause infection from under cooked food like fish.
Symptoms can be mild or absent.
Other possibility is mucus strand but that would not come out as uniform strand.
I would suggest to take a sample of stool containing those segments for an examination by doctor & tests.
Doctor can then prescribe appropriate medicine to eradicate it.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.