Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Saurabh. I have been consistently run ing a low grade fever

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Saurabh. I have been consistently run ing a low grade fever for a year. Blood work, has been fine. Ruled out several infectious diseases. Begininning ti worry there may be a serious u derlying cause, regular GP said sometimes, there are no answers. Not sure what type of soecialist to evern look for
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 2 years ago.
Sorry other expert is currently not available.
May i help you?
Myself Doctor Anil- a board certified physician with more than 30 years of experience in medical field.
It's my pleasure.
Any associated other symptoms?
Are you taking any medications?
Stress and anxiety issues?
Any other medical history?
Please provide additional information so i can help you in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
A fever of one year, cause not found with the routine investigations would warrant a team of internal medicine specialist, clinical immunologist and an oncologist for evaluation. Following investigations would be required for ascertaining the cause;
1) Obtain cultures for bacteria, mycobacteria, and fungi (blood, urine, stool, sputum, spinal fluid).
2) Serologies for Brucellosis, CMV infection, amebiasis, toxoplasmosis, and chlamydial diseases.
3) Serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP) is useful in diagnosing atrial myxoma, SLE flares, and lymphomas.
4) Serum ferritin levels are useful in cases of malignancies, SLE flare, and adult Still disease.
5) Antinuclear antibody titers, rheumatologic factor, thyroxine level, and ESR,
6) High resolution CT scan of lung and CT scan of chest.
7) Ultrasound and CT scan of abdomen.
8) Technetium bone scan
9) Radionucleotide studies using gallium citrate or granulocytes labeled with indium for diagnosis of occult abscesses, neoplasms, or soft-tissue lymphomas.
10) Positron emission tomography (PET) scanning has enhanced the detection of occult neoplasms, lymphomas, and vasculitides.
11) Liver function tests and kidney function tests.
12) Adrenal function tests.
13) Peripheral blood smear
14) Bone marrow cytology and biopsy.
The above work up should be able to find the cause of it and thus treatment would be initiated.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.