Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am a 26year old female in her 35.5 week of pregnancy. 2

I am a 26year old female in her 35.5 week of pregnancy. 2 years ago I had a hysterotomy at week 20 with a high vertical cut on the uterus instead of horizontal. my doctor told me that there is a possibility of a vaginal delivery but there is an 8% chance of uterine rupture, and therefore he would like to do a c section.
my question is if I have a c section at 36 weeks, what is my risk of uterine rupture on a future pregnancy, does it increase from the 8% chance that it is at now?
Hi--just for clarity here, why did you have the hysterotomy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

because I was bleeding and the fetus died. the doctor was not sure why I was not dilating even though I was given medication to dilate. the hysterotomy was done and showed that I had either a bicornuate uterus or a spetum uterus which is why I did not carry to term.

OK. The risk of rupture with the vertical incision is about 8 % but for a standard C section it's more like 1 %. The problem here is that you've already had the hysterotomy so you still have the 8 % risk
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my question is if this c section now would increase the risk at a future pregnancy to greater than 8% or is it always 8% no matter what number pregnancy and c section it is?

Still just at 8 %--no increase of the risk after the C section
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more question, is there a limit to how many pregnancies I can have in this situation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a limit to the amount of pregnancies I can have in this condition?

Not really, no
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you deliver babys

I have in the past when I was a resident