Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I recently had orthagnathic surgery with general anesthesia.

I recently had orthagnathic surgery with general anesthesia. Approx. 24 hours after surgery, I developed a butterfly rash on my face. I am previously diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (positive RF, AntiCCP, and ANA). I took a picture of the rash for my rheumatologist, who attributed the rash to an allegic reaction to anesthesia. I am questioning this, as I've had this rash in the past without anesthesia exposure, and I've previously had general anesthesia without developing a rash. Should I be concerned about lupus?
Hi--can you show me the photo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Karen--so you've never had this before and is it itchy or painful? How long has it lasted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had this a few times, and it has never lasted more than 24 hours. It usually lasts less than 12 hours. It isn't painful or itchy, but seems a little warm to the touch.

OK Karen. First off this doesn't look like the typical lupus rash and those last much longer. It's possible that it is a sign of an allergy but you may never know what the trigger was. But you can stop worrying about lupus