Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have a sharp pain in the center of my chest that comes on

suddenly and eases when I...
I have a sharp pain in the center of my chest that comes on suddenly and eases when I pass gas or have a bowel movement. This has only started recently and I have no other symptoms. Once I pass gas or go to the toilet the pain goes away immediately - sorts of fades to black and is gone. What could this be?
11/19/2013
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Do you feel pain after eating?
Do you feel pain in upper abdomen?
Alcohol and smoking history?
Heartburn?
Bloating?
Nausea and vomiting?
Heaviness and tightness in chest?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
Thanks.
Waiting for your response.

Pain after eating - no

Pain in upper abdomen - pain is really in center of my chest but it doesn't feel like it's in my abdomen... feel like I want to go to the bathroom, mostly, that kind of rumbly feeling.

Alcohol - recreational - only occasionally when I go out. Smoking - puffed a spliff a couple times a couple months ago but nothing since.

Heartburn - no

Bloating - no

Nausea and vomiting - no

Tightness in chest - I don't know - it basically feels like a sharp pricking pain

How long - off and on, comes on suddenly, only a couple times since October

Medical history - Just came off sick leave for dengue fever; allergic to Dilantin (epileptic fit when I was 11, none since)

Medications - no

Thanks for providing more information.
Any sort of chest pain shouldn't be ignored and it's always advised to see your doctor ASAP.
While this could be cardiac, and that still needs to be evaluated with an echocardiogram and a stress test, this sounds like either a reflux problem, maybe an H pylori infection of the stomach, or something called irritable bowel syndrome,Diverticulosis.
It can be due to food like excess fat intake or certain vegetables or swallowing of air.
I'd have you undergo an upper and lower endoscopy and be screened for H pylori if the cardiac workup was normal.
You should try OTC Prilosec and Mylanta.
Of course, nothing can replace an examination by a doctor,so seeing a doctor for an exam and tests would be best ASAP.
I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly, if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)