Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Experts - I just got some very small amounts of blood in the

Experts - I just got some very small amounts of blood in the toilet bowl after a stool. Normally this only happens after I have been drinking too much and am dehydrated. I haven't had any alcohol since Tuesday, but I did notice my urine was a little more yellow this am and I strained yesterday on a stool that was harder to pass than normal.
Should I assume this is more than likely hemorrhoids or caused by dehydration or straining? The only thing I found odd is that there was no blood on the paper?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any pain involved with the bowel movement? Have you had this checked out before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gone in before and been told if it resolves itself then I need to chalk it up to hemorrhoids. It always has resolved. In college I had this symptom and got scoped and he found hemorrhoids.
No pain with the bowel movement. I just went again and the blood was less the 2nd time, but stool was more loose
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Doug. Besides hemorrhoids, an anal fissure can cause this but usually there's a fair amount of pain with that. I can't in good conscience tell you this has to be hemorrhoids and that's fine, so you should at least have a doctor take a look.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well now I'm a little concerned. I have considered being tested for gluten intolerance because I occasionally will get back pain before diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Tell me more about the diarrhea
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started in my opinion with beer. If I had friends over for a card game and I eat garbage food like pizza with it I would wake up in the middle of the night with gas pain and have diarrhea and then everything would be fine.
My wife and I were convinced that beer was the issue so I quit drinking beer altogether probably two years ago and never again woke up in the middle of the night with any kind of diarrhea.
Today I probably get diarrhea 3 to 4 times a year far less than before and I need a diet much higher in fruits and vegetables and fiber. That being said occasionally I'll have diarrhea out of the blue and my very next bowel movement will be 100% normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--doesn't sound like celiac disorder but it could be intermittent irritable bowel syndrome
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I had considered that as well. I should have mentioned I had an abnormal amount of cheese in the last two days I would've that could've caused my straining yesterday possibly leading to this. Anything else I should look for symptom wise for IBS? And is blood in the stool ever a symptom of IBS?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, blood in the stool isn't from IBS. Cheese can lock up stool for sure. Might be best to get more daily fiber in your diet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr Chip -
So to summarize, probably don't need to be concerned but before assuming its just hemorrhoids I should have it checked out if it continues especially.
Possible that gluten is an issue or no?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--not a gluten problem otherwise the diarrhea would be much more frequent. Very likely hemorrhoids but it needs to be checked out