How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Charles Your Own Question
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 7192
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Charles is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My blood work done on 4/19/13 was normal except for the

This answer was rated:

my blood work done on 4/19/13 was normal except for the abnormal Testosterone, Free(Direct) which was 5.1 pg/mL with the normal range stated as 6.6 to 18.1.
Dr Abraham Morgentaler, MD 's book "Testosterone for Life" states that "Testim or Androgel"(page 102) or Clomiphene Citrate or Anastrozole (page 107) are possible meds to bring Free Testosterone back into the normal range.
He also states on page 136 that the large study by the NCI in 2008 found no relationship between prostate cancer and any of the hormones studied.
What are your recommendations on these medications ?
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.
I have read the details of this book & I agree with Dr Abraham Morgentaler, MD.
AndroGel (testosterone) is a topical hormone gel. It works by replacing or supplementing the testosterone that is naturally made in the body.
AndroGel 1% is an androgen indicated for replacement therapy in adult males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone.
If low testosterone is diagnosed, testosterone replacement therapy is prescribed, and it most commonly comes in the form of a cream, gel, pellet, patch, and by injection.
Clomid(Clomiphene Citrate) works by blocking estrogen at the pituitary and hypothalamus & hence increases testosterone levels.
Arimidex(Anastrozole) blocks the conversion of testosterone into estrogen--thus your levels of testosterone are increased
My advise for you is that low testosterone levels in the body can be supplemented by hormone replacement with testosterone.This is forst line of treatment & is best to raise the testosterone levels.
Testosterone replacement therapy can be prescribed as an intramuscular injection usually given on a biweekly basis, as a patch or gel placed on the skin, or as putty that is applied to the gums of the mouth. Gum tablets or buccal medications are the newest form of testosterone replacement therapy.
So I suggest you that you should make an appointment with endocrinologist for the prescription of these testosterone replacement therapy/medications accordingly.
Hope this helped
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.
Thank you! *****
Dr. Charles and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you