Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Sharp knife stabbing feeling on right side of sternum it

sharp knife stabbing feeling on...

sharp knife stabbing feeling on right side of sternum it hurts even to lightly press on the area...sometimes i feel a back pain like a pinched nerve in the same area....pain in the chest has been going on for 6 weeks...4 weeks ago i caught a cold 2 weeks later i was experiencing bronchitis symptoms...ass of right now i feel much better as if the bronchitis may be going away...still have the wheezing sometimes and coughing some but nowhere near as bad ass the past 2 weeks...right collarbone periodically gets a pain then goes away...any ideas...also have had a slight headache off and on everyday for the past 2 weeks and lymph node glands near my throat haven't seemed swollen but aching though out the day for a couple weeks as well

11/12/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello DuWane,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have any swelling on the right side of sternum?
Do you have fever?
Are you smoker?
Were any investigations done?

no swelling no feve...yes i was a smoker but quit about 2 months ago....smoked about a pack a day since i was 17...and no i have not been to any doctors yet...I'm scared of the answer because i fear lung cancer

Hello DuWane,

I can assure you this is not lung cancer. This is most likely due to following;

1) Chronic bronchitis

2) Costochondritis; it is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage or with the breast bone / sternum. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

3) Anxiety; which may cause recurrent headache and other myofascial pain.

4) Tension headache; Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

one more question...my mom thinks because I'm over weight a bit, possible diabetes...anything I've described to you soundlike its a strong possibility? or even high blood pressure....I'm just thankful you are positive its not lung cancer.

You are most welcome.

None of your symptoms indicate either diabetes or high blood pressure. But no harm in getting your blood sugar checked up and get the blood pressure measured.

As we discussed, your symptoms are not likely due to lung cancer, so please do not worry.

It is privilege assisting you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

forgot to mention a pain between my right armit and breast..comes and goes through out the day....mostly on the right side but sometimes i do feel it in the left as well

Hello and welcome DuWane,

These pain can be due to pinched nerves in the neck or myofascial pain syndrome. Muscles of the neck, chest and shoulder girdle, namely; trapezius, scalene, sternocleidomastoid, levator scapulae etc can develop myofascial trigger points. These are hyperirritable tender spots in palpable tense bands of skeletal muscle that refer pain. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)