Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I used to take .5 Xanax when I traveled. Due to a stressful

I used to take .5 Xanax when I traveled. Due to a stressful year I have been taking .5mg almost every night to help me sleep better. I would like get out of this habit and get back to my bodies natural rhythms. How shall I proceed? I do not want to feel extreme withdrawals and want to approach it slowly. Do you have any advice?
thank you
Hi. You definitely shouldn't try the cold turkey method since that withdrawal can include seizures. You need a taper over two months directed by your doctor--something along the lines of 0.25 mg for a week and then 0.25 mg every other day for two weeks, and then 0.25 mg every other day for a week. That's the best way not to have withdrawal symptoms