Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What causes os acetabuli in 29 year old obese male? Is it

What causes os acetabuli in 29 year old obese male?
Is it congenital?
Or could it be caused by injury (ATV accident) or overload (weight of 300 pounds)?
I have obese patient who had an ATV accident 4 years ago. He was told for 3 years he had a fracture of acetabulum with malunion. Recently underwent MRI arthrogram and told he actually does not have a fracture. Nor does he have a labral tear, nor osteoarthritis. The only finding was os acetabuli.
His question is, is the os acetabulum more likely congenital or more likely due to his excess weight (and strenuous job activities) or the ATV accident? He has considerable pain and is being considered for surgery. There are workman comp issues ...

Hello Elizabeth ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

The Os acetabulum are most likely due to overweight / obesity (300 pounds). This denote an early osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis due to over work because of obesity) as the cartilage (which is a glistening surface around the joint and acts as a cushion or shock absorber) gets destroyed at early age due to constant abnormal pressure on the joint. There is a friction between the two bones of the joint which lead to new bone formation called as os acetabulum / os acetabuli.

The treatment is;

1) Physical therapy
2) Deep electrotherapy
3) Reduction of weight.
4) Surgery.

Many times os acetabuli are confused with fatigue fracture or fracture due to injury or accident. Please read this resource;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19219806

But here it is likely due to overweight induced early osteoarthritis (new bone formation).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.