Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Are there certain requirements or restrictions of diet

Are there certain requirements or restrictions of diet before having a serotonin level test?
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
The blood level of serotonin is not much affected by diet.
But urine serotonin levels are affected by diet.
Grapefruit, avocados, plums, pineapple, tomatoes, kiwi, dates, walnuts, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, eggplant, plantain, bananas are serotonin rich food.
You can avoid those for a few days.
I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A urine test has not been ordered. so I assume diet is not required for the blood work. Is the urine test more accurate or necessary for a complete picture.

Also I am getting the l-methylfolate by prescription, taking 7.5 mg. If levels are still low should I increase this to 15 mg. This medication is not covered by my insurance, is there an equivalent that would be less expensive -- first started looking at this as Deplin.

Hello Sharon,
Urine test would not be necessary.
I am sorry. So far I am aware, there is no cheap variant or generic.
Dose can be increased to 15 mg.
Doctor would decide after the test about dose adjustment.