Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been taking Lyrica for 2+ years and want to go off

Hello. I have been taking...
Hello. I have been taking Lyrica for 2+ years and want to go off due due to it's cost. Is there anything else I could take that would be comprible and how can I handle the insomnia that will probably result?Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--why are you taking the Lyrica and have you had any other medication for the same reason?

Fibromyalgia....No other meds

Well, neurontin is a first cousin of Lyrica and generic so it would definitely be cheaper. Elavil and Pamelor are different medications that might help and also would be cheaper. As far as the insomnia, Restoril is a realitively inexpensive sleeping aid

Is restoril or pamelor addictive? Would neurontin work the same and what about muscle relaxers?Thanks!

Neurontin could work just as well as Lyrica and if sleeping medications are only used for a short time they aren't habit forming. Melatonin and valerian are natural non-habit forming sleep aids too. Muscle relaxers like Flexeril could also help

What about side effects with neurontin and is it expensive?Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. If you didn't have side effects with Lyrica there shouldn't be any with neurontin and you can check with your pharmacy about the cost, but because you can get it in generic form it should be much less expensive

Thanks What is the normal dose for bipolar vrs fibromyalgia for neurontin?

900 to up to 1800 mg a day in divided doses for both
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

Hi....How about seraquel?

It's generic and can be used for sleep
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)