How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Fernando Your Own Question
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Health Question Here...
Robert Fernando is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a red bump in my gential region, although it is not

This answer was rated:

I have a red bump in my gential region, although it is not on my actual genitals. It is just below my belt buckle. It doesn't look like it filled puss, it doesn't look like any herpes or anything I have seen online. I thought it might be a cyst I read about but I feel like cyst's are supposed to be rounder. It isn't growing or changing but it is tendor and if I were to push on it; it would hurt. I have a picture and am able to post it if asked. I plan on seeing a doctor but any information and thoughts would be great. Thanks!
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
How long has this been going on for?
Associated discharge through bump?
Do you have history of unprotected sex with multiple partners?
Do you have swollen lymph nodes in groin?
Associated burning urination/ chills/ fever?
Can you please, share the picture.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Been there about a week, no discharge, I have not been sexually active in a month, but when I was it was protected. No other side effects - no pain urinating, nothing is swollen or looks abnormal, no to any side effects you asked about.
Right above red spot is my waistline
More zoomed in:
Dear ***** M, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
It sounds to be Folliculitis.
It arise from Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands and occur due to the fact that hair follicles become infected, often with Staphylococcus aureus. Most likely, this is not related with herpes or any other serious STD. No need to get panic.
It could also be inflamed cyst.
It is a quite common issue, and usually would get resolve with home measures.
To treat this condition, You can apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress to the affected area 4-5 times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain.
You can use over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to affected area.
You can take Tylenol for associated pain and inflammation, it can be taken twice a day.
You should gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap or apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment.
You can use a clean washcloth and towel to dry off each time you wash.
You should not share your towels or washcloths, and launder them in plenty of hot, soapy water after every use.
Usually such symptoms will get resolve in a week by these tips.
For peace of mind, please do get clinically examined from your doctor.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Robert Fernando and other Health Specialists are ready to help you