Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My mother who is 82 had a spike in blood pressure last night

My mother who is 82 had a spike in blood pressure last night while relaxing and watching TV. It went to 173/ 90. I checked the meter and took at least 3 more measurements -- all confirmed an average of 160/ 84. She took another dose of her usual medication ( 12mg HCTZ ). After 10 minutes it dropped to 140/ 90. These measurements were taken from her left arm. Her right arm was consistently 20mm Hg lower than her left. This was near bedtime so she retired as usual but this morning she gave a reading of 84/54! Her pulse has always averaged 60-70. Right now it's 122/63 with a pulse of 67. I'd really like to know what's going on with these wild spikes and what should my concern be? Nothing funny or different about her diet. Thanks
Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Variation in blood pressure can be due to the underlying heart disease.

Dr. D.J. :

Myocardial infarction can cause this.

Dr. D.J. :

Also unequal BP between 2 arms can be due to the atherosclerosis of the blood vessels.

Dr. D.J. :

Subclavian artery blockage can cause this inequality in Bp as well.

Dr. D.J. :

Also, measurement error is still possible, since with aging the blood vessels are not compressible resulting in falsely high BP.

Dr. D.J. :

However, given these changes in her BP, I will suggest a sooner clinical evaluation to rule out any MI.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Variation in blood pressure can be due to the underlying heart disease.
Dr. D.J. : Myocardial infarction can cause this.
Dr. D.J. : Also unequal BP between 2 arms can be due to the atherosclerosis of the blood vessels.
Dr. D.J. : Subclavian artery blockage can cause this inequality in Bp as well.
Dr. D.J. : Also, measurement error is still possible, since with aging the blood vessels are not compressible resulting in falsely high BP.
Dr. D.J. : However, given these changes in her BP, I will suggest a sooner clinical evaluation to rule out any MI.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes