Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My thumbnail has horizontal ridges and a large dent in the

My thumbnail has horizontal ridges and a large dent in the top of the nail. If my nail grows a little bit, above the dent, the nail gets all pealy and I end up cutting it off.
I think this is due to nail trauma, from getting acrilyic nails a few years ago but want to make sure.
What do you think?
Thank you!
Hi--unlikely that this was from the acrylic or from trauma but this sounds like onycholysis. For now no using of nail polish and place vitamin E cream on the nail at night and wearing a cotton glove may resolve this but, if not, you'll need to see a dermatologist for prescription cortisone cream