Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP
Hello! I will be assisting you today. Neosporin or any antibiotic ointment is made from a very small amount and antibiotic mixed with petroleum jelly (vaseline). There is no risk of injury unless you consumed it by the handful.
It would cause a greasy taste and be hard to wash down but would not cause and damage.
In pageants it is used on the teeth.
Are you there?
that is good to know
do they really use it on teeth?
it says on the tube not to ingest
Yes. They use it in order to remember to not close their mouth when on stage.
and call poison control immediately
I understand. A small amount will not harm you. As I said the based is vaseline and there is very little antibiotic in it. They have to put that on all products to protect them legally.
This is not poisonous unless you were to eat several tubes of it.
i didnt eat it
but i wondered about it being on my fingers and then touching my eyes and ears or getting it in my mouth or other orifaces
that is great to know though
No this would not cause any problems.
is it true you should use it in small amounts, the directions say to use small amount
Yes you should use small amounts. If you use large amounts it is not more effective and the excess is wasted since it is often brushed off where it is applied.
oh i see
and a little will do the job>
Yes. A small amount will cover the area and that is sufficient.
thanks so much for all the help
is it used on babies?
You are very welcome! It is used on babies yes.
so all in all, a very helpful and not dangerous medicine
That is correct. It is one of the least harmful home medicines there are.
It is only a problem if very large amounts are consumed and then the main problem would be severe diarrhea, etc. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) when melted at body temperature is just like mineral oil (which is consumed to relive constipation).
It is like drinking a glass of vegetable oil.
Not a good idea.
so it is the vasaline part that might cause issues
Unless you like the bathroom.
is it possible to be allergic to it?
It is possible to be allergic to the antibiotic in the ointment yes.
how would i know if i was
If you have a penecillin allergy you will have an allergy to the neosporin.
what would those symptoms look like
The area where it was applied would develop a rash and there would be sever itching.
but not life threwatoning
No. Not with this medication.
thanks very much
this has been a great help
You are very welcome!
can it be used around genitals, on a baby foir diaper irritation
or to keep things clean
Vaseline or neosporin acts as a barrier holding in moisture by creating a physical barrier between the skin and air so the water stays in the skin. This is not a good idea in the genital area on a large scale. You want that area to stay dry.
This is why baby powder is used.
that is good advice
but its not a problem getting into the anus or the penis or vagina
its more about keeping moisture out
not trapping in the moisture
which might make rashes worse
No as long as it is not large amounts.
cause that would be the same as ingesting?
but it would take a whole tube
Yes moisture makes rashes worse and the vaseline also acts as a heat barrier so the area gets hot.
Heat and moisture makes rashes worse.
It should not intentionally be put in the penis, vagina, or anus. It may be used in small amounts on the surface but not inserted.
can you tell me why though, i know im belaboring the point, but just curious
what the danger is there
i guess it wuld be the same as vasaline
The danger from what?
well you say not intentionally
what is the danger
if you just put it in there i mean
would it be like ingesting?
this is my lat questioni promise
and just more out of curiousity
It could cause a blockage of the penis and irritation. The vagina much the same although not as much. The anus would not be that big of a concern and some people use it as an alternative to hemorrhoid creams. It should never be used in babies though since all of the skin in these areas is much more sensitive.
oh i see, so the blockage is cause its blocks moisture and repels water, so its hard to remove, the body has to absorb it
and you would have to pee it out i guess
but maybe you couldnt
It would block the hold and since obviously water and oil do not mix it would not dissolve. So it would have to be pushed out which can cause problems in the penis and backup into the bladder and kidneys eventually.
block the hole
so what would the doctor do to resolve it
In the rare case that this would actually happen there are a couple of options. When you have to urinate bad enough there is quite a bit of pressure built up and this would likely push it out. If it did not then the doctor would likely put in a catheter to remove the blockage.
Mush like kidney stones that do not pass.
Spell check is down
i see, ok thank you very much. I think its safe to use for me
i feel better about it now
i dont think these extreme scenarios will happen
I hope they never do.
Anyways there are tens of millions of people that have used neosporin with no problem so it is not like an exotic medicine. They literally produce hundreds of thousands of punds of the stuff every month.
So yes it is safe.
right, im being paranoid
medicine often scares me
i get freaked out by the warnings
I understand. In this case it is not of concern when used according to the directions.
thanks so much