Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My issue started last night. I felt like I had food

Hello. My issue started last...
Hello. My issue started last night. I felt like I had food poisoning about 2 hours after dinner. Intermittently, I would feel like vomiting and feel like going to the bathroom. I kept going through cold sweats and then I would feel like I was freezing. All that came out at first was dark brown "water" but after about 10 trips to the bathroom, what started coming out was red blood. Today everytime I've felt like I need to go to the bathroom all that comes out is blood. It lays at the bottom and doesn't mix with the water but when I wipe, its definitely blood. I've never had anything like this and I'm a little scared. I'm 49, female and I don't have a doctor.
10/24/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Indeed this is concerning.

Dr. D.J. :

It is likely you have a bacterial infection of the intestine.

Dr. D.J. :

Salmonella, shigella or E coli can cause these symptoms.

Dr. D.J. :

Contaminated food or water is the likely vehicle for infection.

Dr. D.J. :

Another possibility can be ulcerative colitis which can present like this suddenly.

Dr. D.J. :

You definitely need a clinical evaluation in the ER.

Dr. D.J. :

Initially a course of antibiotic with cipro and flagyl should be considered.

Dr. D.J. :

If the symptoms do not subside fully with antibiotics, then you will also need a colonoscopy.

Dr. D.J. :

Please keep your well hydrated with gatorade.

Dr. D.J. :

It is vry important to avoid kidney failure from severe dehydration.

Dr. D.J. :

But the good news is,this is fully treatable.

Dr. D.J. :

best wishes,

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Indeed this is concerning.
Dr. D.J. : It is likely you have a bacterial infection of the intestine.
Dr. D.J. : Salmonella, shigella or E coli can cause these symptoms.
Dr. D.J. : Contaminated food or water is the likely vehicle for infection.
Dr. D.J. : Another possibility can be ulcerative colitis which can present like this suddenly.
Dr. D.J. : You definitely need a clinical evaluation in the ER.
Dr. D.J. : Initially a course of antibiotic with cipro and flagyl should be considered.
Dr. D.J. : If the symptoms do not subside fully with antibiotics, then you will also need a colonoscopy.
Dr. D.J. : Please keep your well hydrated with gatorade.
Dr. D.J. : It is vry important to avoid kidney failure from severe dehydration.
Dr. D.J. : But the good news is,this is fully treatable.
Dr. D.J. : best wishes
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist