How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35484
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Phophalia, I was also told that I have a -12 deficiency. In

This answer was rated:

Hello Dr. Phophalia,
I was also told that I have a B-12 deficiency. In a recent mail I told you that I play a lot of Basketball. But have been playing less due to pain in the ball's of both of my feet. I have been living with lots of stress, run an international company, have a 4 1/2 year old that i just got finished with a custody battle (that is the worst) a new wife who is having trouble with all of that, and we are working to find our way. I also have hep c. :))) Thanks for your he
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. phophalia is offline today. Since you have been waiting for an answer, I would be glad to help you.

I am Dr. Bora and I have read up your medical history.

You will need vitamin B12 injections. Normally, about six injections are given at first, one every 2-4 days. This quickly builds up the body's store of vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is stored in the liver. Once a store of vitamin B12 is built up, this can supply the body's needs for several months. An injection is then only usually needed every three months to top up the supply.

You have to consult your primary care provider / GP about this.

Here is a link about B12 rich foods which you should include in our diet to prevent long term deficiency.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.

Keep me updated on your heath status and if you need any assistance, please request me as DR. BORA ONLY in the opening statement of the question.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5233
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Dr. R. Bora and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Hello and welcome, Michael.

The first step is to ascertain the cause of vitamin B 12 deficiency. Second step is to improve the diet and recommendations are to eat; food that contains vitamin B-12;

a) meat,
b) eggs,
c) cheese, and
d) yogurt.

In most patients with vitamin B-12–associated issue if present like neuropathy/myelopathy, no restriction on physical activity is necessary. Thus you can continue playing basketball with the measures we discussed in the last thread. If the deficiency is mild, oral supplementation can be done. Otherwise injectable Vitamin B 12 would be given.

To ascertain the cause following investigations are recommended, if not yet done;

1) Antiparietal cell antibodies; IF antibodies.
2) If antibodies are negative, obtain a serum gastrin level to test for achlorhydria,
3) Schilling test

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35484
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Dr. Arun Phophalia and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you