How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ear question. Last week I was diagnosed with

This answer was rated:

Hi Doc, I have an ear question. Last week I was diagnosed with Otitis externa in my right ear. It hurt and my hearing was dull, ear felt full. Got Ciprodex drops used for 6 days. Went back to clinic cause the pain is gone but hearing is still dull, not clear. PA says my ear drum look "cloudy"/coated and i have bit of whitish discharge in my canal. She said to keep using the Ciprodex and get it checked for some kind of fungal infection. Can you shed some light on what i should do next? Please
Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Otitis externa is an infection of the ear canal. It may be that the Ciprodex failed to completely treat the infection.
Anthony Bray, MD : with otitis externa I usually prefer to treat with a combination of oral and topical antibiotics as I have found the combination to be more effective....
Anthony Bray, MD : Now the PA noting a dull sppearance of the eardrum sounds to me that you may have fluid in the middle ear space--- this is the space behind the eardrum... It is called serous otitis if just fluid is present and called otitis media ( middle ear infection ) if the space appears to be infected ....
Anthony Bray, MD : otitis media or serous otitis could well explain your decrease in hearing...
Anthony Bray, MD : the white discharge being present could also be due to a fungal infection ... If fungal then your antibiotic drops would need to be changed...
Anthony Bray, MD : I would advise you to get in to see an ENT specialist... This type specialist would be excellent to evaluate and treat you for the persistent symptoms...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD

Can a family gp diagnose this, my ent is next to impossible to get in to see. what is the urgent factor here?

Anthony Bray, MD : Yes that would be fine to see your Family Pracrice doctor...
Anthony Bray, MD : It is not extremely urgent but still would be best to get doctor to evaluate you sooner vs later...
Anthony Bray, MD : it is best to get on effective treatment sooner vs later...


Anthony Bray, MD : I agree that if you have faster access to your FP doctor then that would be the next best step to take...
Anthony Bray, MD : you are very welcome!
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that you feel better soon!!
Anthony Bray, MD and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you