Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My right foot hurts (dull ache, mostly) where indicated in

My right foot hurts (dull ache, mostly) where indicated in the borrowed photo: http://i.imgur.com/VYPAlJ1.jpg. The strange thing is that it only hurts after a period of rest or inactivity; my first few steps in the morning, or first few steps after sitting for awhile. After the pain subsides I can walk or even run normally without any pain at all. When I'm off my feet I can still feel a slight dull ache in that region, but it's almost unnoticeable. I don't want to aggrivate a possible injury, but I also don't want to rest something that doesn't necessarily need it. Also, I've tried to take up running every day, which I know has something to do with it, just don't know what.
Thank you.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
The symptoms you have described can be due to a condition called Plantar fasciitis.It is inflammation of the thick connective tissue on the sole of your foot that attaches to your heel.The pain is usually felt at the bottom of your foot.
Other possible causes can be:stress fracture, tendonitis, arthritis, nerve irritation, or, rarely, a cyst.
Diagnostic imaging studies such as x-rays, a bone scan, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be required to diagnose exactly.
Treatment includes Anti-inflammatory medications,heel stretching exercises,heel inserts.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Till then take tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day.Take a few day off from prolonged standing to try to rest the painful foot or try to sit maximum whenever possible.All this will help you greatly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you explain why the pain would subside with use? (walking or running) That's the part that makes the least sense to me.

Other than that, how long will it likely be before I can consider it 'healed?'

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
Sudden damage, or damage that occurs over many months can cause tiny tears (microtears) to develop inside the tissue of the plantar fascia. This can cause the plantar fascia to thicken, resulting in foot pain.
The pain occurs because you are stretching the plantar fascia. The
pain usually lessens with more walking, but you may have it again after periods of rest.
With treatment, you will have less pain within a few weeks. But it may take time for the pain to go away completely. It may take a few months for complete relief.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Hi Eric
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Have you taken the medication?
Have you consulted your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis?
Let me know,
Dr.Robert