Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My bilirublin levels are slightly increased. Total

My bilirublin levels are slightly increased. Total bilirublin level is 1.37
What can be the reason for this?
I am a natural bodybuilder. I do not take steroids and I do not eat meat. However, by supplements and natural diet, I eat approximately 250 grams of protein a day. Can this be the reason?
Is there any danger with this increased level?
Thanks.
Br,
Prateek
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

No, it is not possible for the increased level of the protein intake to cause elevated bilirubin levels.

You should check the levels of liver enzymes lke ALT, AST , alkaline phosphatase and GGT levels to make sure if your liver is functioning normally.

You should also check for the enzyme G 6 PD which can sometimes be abnormal and lead to high blood bilirubin.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please leave behind a positive feedback if you liked my answer to give credit for my time and expertise. Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did get all the tests done. They are all within normal range.

Then why is bilirublin up?

One possibility is that you could have low levels of the enzyme gucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase. This can lead to poor metablism of bilirubin, so you need to get this enzyme checked.

Another possibility is that the bile is not being cleared from your liver due to perhaps gall bladder and bile duct stones. You should get an ultrasound of the liver as well as of these organs. Any obstruction can cause raised bilirbin level.

Talk to your doctor about the enzymes test and the ultrasound examination to get things cleared and have a proper diagnosis.