Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Okay, so how should an overdose of Afrin (Oxymetazoline

hydrochloride) be treated? Instead...
Okay, so how should an overdose of Afrin (Oxymetazoline hydrochloride) be treated? Instead of sprayed the liquid was squirted into the sinuses. This was like 36 hours ago. No signs of system overdose from swallowing. Some 'fullness' and constriction to otherwise normal sinusus (was taken to home treat blocked eustachian tubes rather than the nasal sinuses themselves). My question is, do the sinuses need immediate treatment like, run straight to the ER tonight, kind of treament? Or can this be taken care of in the morning by the general physician? I'm aware there is a rebound effect where the sinuses swell if the medication is used for too long and could be permenant. Will postponing treament for a day affect the outcome of treatment?
10/17/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

This is nothing serious.

Dr. D.J. :

The effect of oxymetazoline should have passed by now.

Dr. D.J. :

Do not use this for no more than 3 days.

Dr. D.J. :

Oxymetazoline can cause withdrawal symptoms like rebound sinus congestion if used for long period of time.

Dr. D.J. :

You do not need to worry about its toxicity now --as this is not common.

Dr. D.J. :

You can try sudafed tablet for decongestion.

Customer:

So I probably don't need to run to the ER to treat it to avoid permanent swelling to the sinuses?

Dr. D.J. :

no you do not need to

Customer:

That's a relief.

Dr. D.J. :

no there will not be any permanent damage.

Customer:

Great. Still have to see the doc about my eustachian tubes clogged, but thanks for saving me an expensive trip to the ER.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

you can use sudafed in the meantime which help.

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist