Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Was sitting for many hours today mostly working on a model

Hi was sitting for many...
Hi was sitting for many hours today mostly working on a model ship, male, 49yo, no significant serious health issues, other then being overweight a bit. Hyper tensive but well controlled, feel very good, not sick, not injured. Started to get a stabbing pain on left rear flank, between lower ribs and hip, but only hurts with deep inhale. Been lasting several hours with no change. moderate pain with occasional severe stabbing sort of pinch but only during deep inhale, does not hurt to press, touch, or manipulate, and a little if move alot but not much. No fever, no urine issues that i know of, but very nervous. Have had little stich like this that has gone away in a few mins, but lasting hours only today since afternoon..
10/17/2013
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Do you have pain in urination?
Do you have pain in lower back?
Do you have nausea?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Any other health or medical problems
Thanks

no to all questions, pain maybe 5 to 7 but only when inhaling, other med issues, hypothyroidism, hypertension controlled, sleep apnea (cpap used, overweight at 265ilbs 6ft, poor shape little exercise, good news is just had full phyical by PCP with good health

Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about your problems.
It sounds to be nerve root compression, The compression of lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves will cause such symptoms.
As you have a history of continuous sitting job, so this has led to nerve compression, It is quite common after sitting in same posture for long hours.
At time of deep breathing, associated nerves get compressed, and it further lead to severe pain.
It could occur with Kidney stones.
You can use Heating pads or hot wet towels on affected areas. You can apply it for 15-20 minutes and repeat it 3-4 times a day.
You can take OTC Tylenol for pain.
If symptoms doesn't get improved, then Physical therapy would be advised. Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy, Infra red ,Wax therapy,these will help you a lot.
It may take up to 1 week, to be completely free from symptoms.
Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

yes i have had lower back isues with PT to help in past usually secondary to some sort of physical movement which irratates lower back, SI joints..and that is very clear to me when that flairs up, sometimes so bad it raidiates down leg, into groin, even numbness on thigh...but that has not bothered me in some time. Did not relate this to that sort of thing bc it feels so different, and have no hx of pain so far up from lower back, SI joint area. Its sitting right over kidney area. You mention stones..is there anyway to r/o stones that is simple quick check. would stones pain only hurt when breathing, or would it be more chronic? Would it come on that quickly and sudden? Reason I am concerned is bc need to leave town tomorrow for wedding and dont want to be ill, and will not have opportunity to see my MD until later next week when home,,,dont want to be sick away from home

Dear *****,
Most likely, this is related with Nerve compression.
Kidney stone pain is usually associated with burning urination, and also it is not related with deep breathing.
As such, this is not related with any serious issue.
Your symptoms are related with compression of Lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves.
You can take OTC Tylenol for pain and use Heating pads or hot wet towels on affected areas.
This is not a serious issue, and most likely such symptoms would get resolve by using above measures.
You can see your doctor, by next week.
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor