A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Over the last few nights my girlfriend and i are trying to

Over the last few nights my girlfriend and i are trying to practice safe sex. However after foreplay I cannot get inside of her with my Penis. She states that it hurts and that she is uncomfortable. Last night she became really frustrated and broke down. What can i do.

Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to help you.

When you are "done with foreplay" does she indicate that she is ready for intercourse as well?

Is she well lubricated?

Have you tried having intercourse before or is this a new development?

Has she had this problem with other partners or is she a virgin?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she does she wants to try everytime we have foreplay however i cannot get more than my head inside of her

Is she well lubricated?

She is wet but could you define well lubricated?

New Development

Yes she stated that she has had this problem in the past and has not had sex in about two and a half years.

Thanks for the additional information.

I think she needs to see a gynecologist to make sure there is not some obstruction. Occasionally the hymen will be so thick that it partially obstructs the vaginal canal.

She may also have a problem called vaginismus. This is a condition caused by involuntary contractions of the pelvic floor muscles so that intercourse can be painful or even impossible. There are treatments for this that can really be life-changing for her since this is a problem she has had in the past. You can read more about this here:

http://www.vaginismus.com/faqs/vaginismus-questions/what-is-vaginismus

Treatments are almost always successful.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should i continue to try to have sex with her? Also what would you advise on using a toy or dilator. Also she sees an Ob/gyn for Birth control pills, would an obstruction not have been already found?

Yes, any obstruction should have already been found if she has had pelvic exams in the past.

A series of graduated dilators are part of the treatment to accustom her vagina to intercourse. However, I would hesitate to try treatment on my own. She really needs to have the discussion with her gynecologist.

If complete penetration is impossible, then attempts at intercourse are likely to result in more frustration on the part of both of you. While a small vibrator or dilator might work, inserting a finger into the vagina and bringing her to orgasm that way may be easier on the nerves of you both. It also makes your warm flesh part of the process. Of course, that isn't a long-term solution, but it would work until she can see her gyn.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~