Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I noticed a hernia after I had my daughter 13 years ago in

I noticed a hernia after I had my daughter 13 years ago in my mid rib cage (right under my breast). It has popped in and out for years when I do certain things, but always pops back. It was always very painful when it happened. It happened again this weekend, but it wasn't as painful, however it didn't pop back and is extremely sore. I asked the doctors about it in the past and they couldn't detect anything or feel anything. They said not to worry until it pops out again it doesn't go back. What does this mean and what do I do now?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

How big is the hernia?
Were any investigations done for it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its between my ribs and two inches in length and about an inch width. They didn't investigate because I couldn't make it pop out when I was explaining it. I would also forget where exactly it was because I would wait to talk about it until I saw a doctor.

Thanks Gina for the further information.

Is it possible for you to attach a photo here? You can do this by pressing the paper clip icon. Or you can attach the photo at some file sharing site and paste the link so I can access it.

Is there any redness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I took one and I don't feel comfortable sending it! I will, but it's interesting how it's highlighted lighter in the photos.

Okay Gina. Photo can give a better idea.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's hard to see, but here it is.

Thanks Gina.

The first step is to get a soft tissue ultrasound which is the best imaging modality for the diagnosis. An MRI too is an excellent modality for pin pointing the cause and direct the right treatment. A soreness indicate inflammation so anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen would help meanwhile. This can be divarication of the muscle (muscle fibers giving way, which would need repair of them) and may need minor surgery for the correction.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How long can I wait to get this? It's sore but not unbearable? Is there any risk waiting too long. I don't have great health insurance. I will go fast if it's a possible emergency.

Gina,

Following symptoms would point for an urgent attention of a doctor;

1) Moderate to severe pain.
2) Increasing swelling, redness and tenderness.
3) Shortness of breath.
4) Bloating, nausea, vomiting, fever.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have another question for you. I have a strange rash on my leg. I noticed it because a sit by a space heater while I work and when my leg gets hot. I get this rash type thing. It does't hurt or itch. When I'm away from the heat, uou can still see it, but it is very faint and not red. Do you have any thoughts?

Hello and welcome, Gina.

This seems to be a capillary vaso-dilatation. Capillaries are very tiny blood vessels in our skin which may get swollen by the warmth and heat to evaporate the raised body temperature (by the increased amount of blood flow). The normal skin temperature makes them go to there normal size and thus they become faint. An isolated area of body or limb can be affected.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything to be concerned about?

Gina,

This does not seem to be concerning.

My best