Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

To some kind doctor: I am so weak that I could just about

To some kind doctor: I am...
To some kind doctor:
I am so weak that I could just about get myself to write this question. I forced myself to do so. I have had watery dysentery off & on for about two weeks. Ususally have constipationI have a lot of abdominal gurgling. I have used Immodium, yogurt and simethicone. Nothing seems to help. I am so weak! I am using Gatorade off & on, broth etc. but yet this perisists. This is NOT normal for me. I am under tremendous stress. Was in a car accident two weeks ago. Can you PLEASE help me to get feeling better?
10/4/2013
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Is there fever, nausea or any other symptom?
How is urine out put?
When did you consult doctor?
Did doctor prescribe any other medicine besides Lomotil?
Did you have stool and any other test?
How many Imodium per day and for how many days are you taking?

Hello Doctor Saha.

I don't feel feverish but I was chilly this afternoon and it was warm outside but I lay on a recliner outdoors.

I don't have nausea. Had some crackers and Lactaid earlier when I was hungry.

Urine output - seems not too bad.

I consulted doctor about six days ago. No tests were done.

I took two Imodium this AM but I do not take each day as I feel that I was getting better but then the gurgling and watery diarrhea starts again.

Thank you for the information,
As you are feeling weak, there can be electrolyte imbalance.
Oral rehydration solution can be taken in addition to Gatorade.
You will get it over the counter.
Rice based diet, banana, toast etc. can be taken.
Imodium gives symptomatic relief.
Viral diarrhea can be resolved by symptomatic management within a few days.
As it is continuing for 2 weeks, there can be bacterial infection where antibiotics will be necessary.
The cause should be found out.
You should go to doctor again to have a stool test, blood count and electrolyte check.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards.

Doctor I think that I will see some other doctor. This was not my family doctor. I suppose that he should have done some tests first, right? I cannot reach him today any longer since it is Fridayl So what would you think that I should go to an ER?

Hello Barbara,
You should not wait further.
As today is Friday, I will suggest you to go to urgent care or ER.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)

Hello Dr. Saha, I followed your advice yesterday. Went to ER. Stool cultures were ordered and Cipro, Lomotil and Lactobacillus. I am improved but not totally better but how grateful I will be when I finally am. What I have had is extremely debilitating as I have gotten weak spells and cold sweats. The doctor diagnosed traveler's dysentery. Many thanks for your help, Doctor Saha.

Thank you Barbara for the follow up.
I am glad to know that you are improving.
Antibiotics takes some time to have full effect.
You will be totally better soon
Best wishes.

The doctor only provided cipro 500 mg. for three days' time. Do you feel this is sufficient? My belly is still gurgling and the diarrhea does persist but the bloating is not as painfull.

Duration of antibiotic treatment varies according to severity.

Ciprofloxacin is often used.

As you are still having symptoms you can require it for 5-7 days.

If your doctor did not give you script more than 3 days, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor again.

Doctor can review the culture report and decide further.

Dear Dr. Saha,

To let you know that I was completely better as of Weds., 10/9. The cultures were negative (which seems odd to me). I want to thank you very much for your kindness which guided me to act when I was unable to even think. I wanted to ask if you are IM or GP? I do have another question for you but would probably not get to it until tomorrow PM. Thank you. B

You are always welcome with new question.
It is confusing that the culture has come negative. Sometimes, one culture may not come positive always
Still it is good that you have improved.
I have worked for a few years as GP, then took specialization in Cardiology.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)