Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I am having pain / discomfort on my right leg just above my

I am having pain / discomfort on my right leg just above my thigh. It is close to the joint. I dont know the different names of the parts of the leg, s the best way I can describe where the pain is its close to the "bikini line" or joint of my leg.
It just started hurting approximatly 1 month ago. The pain comes and goes and lasts about a week. There has been no trauma of any kind to my leg, so I am at a loss as to why I gat this pain.
I have tried Ibuprofen (approx 800mg) and sometimes that helps. What would you recomened?
Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today.

Chris C. :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Chris C. :

Any previous injuries to the area?

Customer:

No Sir, I do not.

Customer:

No previous trauma to the area

Chris C. :

Would you say this is in the muscle or deeper in the hip iteself?

Customer:

Yes, probably the muscle.

Chris C. :

Ok, this can be caused by a few conditions but the most likely is a simple groin pull.

Chris C. :

Was there any burning sensation in the area when this started?

Customer:

oh, I was thinking maybe a hamstring injury.

Customer:

No real burning sensation.

Customer:

It started hurting after I walked all day at Universal Studios Hollywood

Chris C. :

This is a possibility as well. As I'm sure you understand it is very difficult to identify the exact are without a ohysical inspection.

Chris C. :

Ok that explains a lot.

Customer:

Yes Sir, I understand.

Chris C. :

With excessive use injuries of this type are common if you do not regularly walk that much.

Customer:

I do not have medical insurance yet, so I have not visited my Doctor.

Customer:

No ,I dont walk that much.

Customer:

I am prety lazy.

Chris C. :

So while it was not a sudden traumatic injury the overworking of the area results in the same type of injury.

Chris C. :

This is a good thing and rules out serious conditions.

Customer:

oh. ok.

Customer:

good to hear

Chris C. :

The treatment with a muscle strain of this type regardless of exactly where it is in the region is the same.

Customer:

ok

Chris C. :

This is normally self limiting and resolves with rest and over the counter pain medications.

Chris C. :

The most important thing is to rest the area.

Customer:

The resting part will be hard to do because of work, but the medication I will try.

Chris C. :

That's exactly what I was going to ask. What type of work do you do?

Customer:

I currently work in a jail. I am a Custody Officer.

Chris C. :

Well that is a tough one. I assume that you make sudden movements depending on the prisoners compliance.

Chris C. :

You have a couple of options here.

Customer:

Yes Sir. Latley they have been acting up.

Chris C. :

First you can try over the counter ibuprofen and supporting the area with an ace elastic wrap. This will help support the whole area and will reduce further injury. The injury will take a couple of weeks to fully resolve as long as you do not make sudden movements that will strain the area which in your case is not known.

Chris C. :

Second and the best option for your health but the worst option for your financial health is get to the dr and get a light duty notification.

Chris C. :

If such a position exist in your facility.

Customer:

Should I up the dosage of Ibuprofen from 800mg?

Chris C. :

No. 800mg is very high and at the maximum prescribed. At 800mg for even a few days this can damage the lining of your stomach and cause serious gastric problems. It is also hard on the liver and kidneys.

Customer:

ok

Chris C. :

800mg is a prescription dosage and should only be taken under the supervision of your dr. That being said what you take is up to you in your home...

Chris C. :

One thing that you can do with any dose to help prevent the gastric problems is to take it with food and even better milk.

Customer:

ok. The 800mg is that in a 24 hour period?

Chris C. :

The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses).

Chris C. :

This is under the care of a dr though.

Customer:

Got it. Thank you Sir for the advise.

Chris C. :

For "home use" it is recommended that the dose be no more than 600mg at a time.

Customer:

600 mg ok

Chris C. :

Rest as much as possible and you should be fine in a couple of weeks as long as you do not injury the area again. The good news is that this does not sound like there is any type of nerve involvement so it should heal without any permanent impairment.

Customer:

Thanks again for your help

Chris C. :

You are very welcome! Thanks for your question and good luck to you!

Customer:

Thank you.