Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran 5.5 miles each Monday & Tuesday. Flu shot a couple of weeks ago; happened to see General Practitioner Tues AM when I was feeling fine! BP 120/78, resting pulse 65, 6'1", 219 pounds at time of checkup.
Symptoms, generally weak/achy, low appetite (VERY unusual for me) a little painful coughing, head seems stuffed, but no sneezing/runny nose.
No GI pain, but last bowel movement was 25 hours ago. Normally pretty regular 8AM, 4PM.
Scheduled to run 13 miles on Sunday; will take it VERY easy and am not afraid to walk or drop out. Use a heart monitor to track pulse.
Questions:
Diet? Looking for good advice. Not a lot of appetite, but willing to eat whatever.
OTC Meds? took 12 hour sudafed and 2x200mg ibuprofen yesterday at 9AM & 9PM. Nothing since. Still feel crummy.
Exercise: OK to walk a mile or so today, to tolerance, just to see how it goes? Usually do a 13 mile bike ride day before the half marathon. VERY easy.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Do you have fever?
Is there greenish yellow phlegm?
Is there any sore throat?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Came down with cold Tuesday night. Healthy otherwise; ran 5.5 miles each Monday & Tuesday. Flu shot a couple of weeks ago; happened to see General Practitioner Tues AM when I was feeling fine! BP 120/78, resting pulse 65, 6'1", 219 pounds at time of checkup. Symptoms, generally weak/achy, low appetite (VERY unusual for me) a little painful coughing, head seems stuffed, but no sneezing/runny nose. No GI pain, but last bowel movement was 25 hours ago. Normally pretty regular 8AM, 4PM. Scheduled to run 13 miles on Sunday; will take it VERY easy and am not afraid to walk or drop out. Use a heart monitor to track pulse. Questions: Diet? Looking for good advice. Not a lot of appetite, but willing to eat whatever. OTC Meds? took 12 hour sudafed and 2x200mg ibuprofen yesterday at 9AM & 9PM. Nothing since. Still feel crummy. Exercise: OK to walk a mile or so today, to tolerance, just to see how it goes? Usually do a 13 mile bike ride day before the half marathon. VERY easy.

More detail:

Came down with a cold/flu Tuesday night after running 5.5 miles 2 evenings in a row in warm climat (San Jose).

Flu shot 2 weeks ago, some cough/green phlegm, achy, tired, shivvering. temp from 99-100.3.

Anything to do besides rest and quarts of liquids (i have 2 cups on my desk: water, and fresh lemon squeezed into my green tea)?

.

Questions:
what is the prognosis? symptoms for how many days?
any OTC medication advice?
dietary advice?
any markers for NOT run/walking on Sunday?
OK to walk a mile today if I'm up to it?

THANK YOU!!

Dear *****
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The symptoms you are having is most likely due to flu. The most common cause of a flu is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu.
Symptoms caused by a virus usually resolves on its own with at-home care.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.
Following will help you greatly:
-Take decongestant like pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which reduce the swelling of the mucous membranes in the nose. Dont use them more then 5 days.
-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
-Continue to take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg for treating symptoms of fever and bodyaches/fatigue/weakness.
If the symptoms persists even after 7th day,then you need tests to know the exact underlying cause & hence the antibiotics may need to be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Robert, thank you for the response. Are sudafed/ibuprofen only for relief of symptoms? I can tough it out, but if they help the body recover quicker, I'm in!

What about my questions re:

Diet

Exercise/13 mile run Sunday?

Dear *****,
Yes,sudafed & Ibuprofen will provide you the symptomatic relief.
If the cause is viral infection,then the virus will normally run its course of 7 days & the symptoms will subside after these 7 days.
Till then for symptoms relief,you can take these described medications.
Following diet is recommended:
- Proteins such as meats, milk, and fish also contain vitamin B12, a powerful immune booster.
-Take healthy well-balanced diet that should contain a variety of foods.
-Avoid any junk food with empty calories - candy, soda, etc.
You should avoid heavy exercises or gym or 13 mile run on Sunday as this can delay the healing & you will feel uncomfortable/breathing discomfort etc.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Robert, thank you for the help!

What about lighter exercise, to tolerance?

--jeff

Dear *****
Thank you for asking another follow up question.
Yes,you can have light exercises as they help to boost your immune system & helps in quick recovery from the infection.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.
Thank you! *****
Dr.Robert