Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have prednisone that has a "discard by" date on the CVS…

Hi. I have prednisone...
Hi. I have prednisone that has a "discard by" date on the CVS label which was one year from the date it was filled in late 2010. My doctor advised me to take a dose this weekend, because I will be missing a monthly prednisolone infusion I typically get. I know it may be less effective, but is it safe to take the tablets 2 years after the "discard by" date? I did not think of this earlier, and won;t have time to get a new RX before my flight.
Thanks.
10/3/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

It is strongly recommended not to take the medicine after two years. It not only has significantly reduced efficacy (thus defeats the purpose) but there may be safety concerns as degraded products may have occasional chance of significant adverse effects.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)