Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Dear Jan, I have Fibromyalgia, and couldn't take Crestor or

Dear Jan,
I have Fibromyalgia, and couldn't take Crestor or Lipitor because it made my muscles ache more. Now I'm on Welchol, which I thought was not a statin. It's been a month, and in the evening I feel my neck and shoulders ache. Could the Welchol be partially to blame?

Hello Marie ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

WelChol is not a statin but it may cause myalgia (muscle pain). Please see this authentic resource for the side effects;

http://reference.medscape.com/drug/welchol-colesevelam-342449#4

Following are the supplements which are known to help lower cholesterol;

1) Flaxseed

2) Garlic extract

3) Barley

4) Artichoke extract

5) Green tea extract

The cholesterol, triglycerides can also be controlled by the lifestyle approaches and dietary strategies. Following would be very helpful to lower them;

1) Dietary fiber; Soluble fiber is present in foods such as beans, oats, barley, and fruits and vegetables. This decreases absorption of cholesterol.

2) Phytosterols; Phytosterols are present in small amounts in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils. Numerous studies have shown that phytosterols lower LDL-Cholesterols. There are many products on the market that contain phytosterols for total- and LDL-C lowering. These products are orange juice, yogurt, margarine spreads, salad dressings, breads, cereals, milk, and granola bars. Phytosterols also are available in soft-gel pills.

3) Soy protein is the major component of soybeans and decreases triglycerides and cholesterol.

4) if one is over weight, just weight loss also reduces the cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

5) Physical activity; regular aerobic exercise is effective in reducing blood lipids and proven by many studies.

6) Alcohol; if one takes, limit it to 20-30 ml per day.

Following dietary pattern may be helpful;

1) Red meat in low frequency and amounts

2) Minimally processed seasonally fresh foods

3) Less than five eggs per week

4) An abundance of plant foods; fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds

5) Olive oil as the principal source of dietary fat

6) Fresh fruits as the typical daily dessert

7) Wine in low to moderate amounts; one glass per day for women.

So life style care measures, diet and supplements also would be able to lower your cholesterol.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Presently I am on an anti-inflammatory. Diet from my Naturopathic MD. It consists of rice and grains- no wheat as I have allergies. Vegetables, fruit of only apples, pears, and berries mostly blueberries, no cow by products , some soy, goat cheese, , quinoa, a little chicken and fish (wild Salmon). Plus I exercise so long as my knees aren't hurting.
I tried taking wild yeast rice, but it did not lower my cholesterol. It looks like I may have no choice but to take some kind of pill to lower my cholesterol. Do you know which one has the least amount of side effects?
Hello Marie,

You may try Niacin which may suit you and is likely to have lesser side effects.

The treatment of fibromyalgia is comprehensive and here are few tips. The treatment has to be individually tailored from these modalities;

1) Aerobic exercise; low-impact aerobics, walking, water aerobics, stationary bicycle.

2) Heat, massage, and other treatments like sauna, hot baths and showers, hot mud, and massage.

3) Trigger-point injections,

4) Acupuncture,

5) Chiropractic manipulation,

6) Myofascial release

7) Neural pulse stimulation (CNP) device

8) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT)

9) Relaxation training and biofeedback

10) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and acetaminophen

11) Opioid analgesics (hydrocodone, oxycodone, fentanyl, morphine),

12) Anxiolytics/hypnotics

13) Estrogen receptor modulator raloxifene

14) St. John's wort, ginseng, valerian, botanical oil, melatonin, magnesium, dehydroepiandrosterone

A combination of above is tried for an individual to relieve the symptoms.

The goal of fibromyalgia treatment is to improve the physical and mental health and quality of life. This goal implies helping manage distressing symptoms, but with decreased dependence on the medical care system. The common recommendations of education, exercise, and pharmacotherapy are often appropriate. Comorbid conditions, such as arthritis and obesity, should be treated because they can contribute to increasing physical and mental symptoms. In fibromyalgia; you are best person to guide your physician, as there are no set rules or standard of protocol which can be effective. The treatment which have been best and efficacious for you in past can be repeated. Because medical therapy is unsatisfactory, patients find their way to alternative therapies. Some of these therapies may be helpful to individual patients, such as massage, water therapy, spa treatment, and acupuncture. So, your decision to choose them supersede the physician's recommendations. The research, in addition to the clinical experience, indicates that the addition of education and a behavioral or cognitive-behavioral component to fibromyalgia treatment protocols is warranted. A combination of the Patient Education, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Relaxation Techniques, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine is suppose to bring the best outcome in quality of life.

For the management of the fibromyalgia using the principles of comprehensive nonpharmacologic pain management represented by the acronym ExPRESS; has been suggested.

1) Ex is for exercise.

2) P is for psychiatric comorbidity, because depression and anxiety disorders are common in chronic pain conditions and contribute significantly to pain and disability.

3) R is for regaining function; this often involves helping patients with activity pacing so that they do not do too much on days when they feel good and do too little on days when they feel bad.

4) E is for education; Web sites hosted by the Arthritis Foundation and the National Fibromyalgia Association are the best education sites.

5) S is for sleep hygiene, which is necessary for many who have developed counterproductive habits.

6) Finally, S is for stress management, which includes any number of elements, such as CBT, relaxation techniques, hydrotherapy, and gentle exercise to name just a few.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.