Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Is it possible for a diabetic patient who has been on pills

and diet regime to be...
Is it possible for a diabetic patient who has been on pills and diet regime to be placed on insulin shots for out of control sugar levels to go back to pills?
10/3/2013
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this is possible. He must have visited ER for very high blood sugar levels for which he was given insulin shots and once the sugar was controlled, the doctor put him back on pills.

Dr. Hasan :

When the sugar is alarmingly high, insulin shots are the only solution to get them back to normal.

Dr. Hasan :

But this doesn't mean that patient has to stay on these shots forever.

Dr. Hasan :

This was one aspect of the answer.

Customer:

is his sugar levels considered under control if it is still testing over 200?

Dr. Hasan :

Fasting levels?

Customer:

I'm not sure. I know that he said he was in his Dr's office for two different visits. The second one was for them to do blood work.

Dr. Hasan :

If this is fasting blood sugar then yes this is uncontrolled and he should visit an endocrinologist to get treatment or his GP may change his medications.

Dr. Hasan :

Change in medications can be in the form of increasing the dose of current medicines, adding some other anti diabetic pill or may be starting him on insulin permanently.

Customer:

My concern is that without aHIPPA release, I can't talk to the doctor, and if he's still on insulin shots, legally he should not be driving a semi-truck. This not only puts him at risk, but also other innocent people, and our company.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes definitely you are right, this can be risky.

Dr. Hasan :

But you should personally ask him to get his treatment done because his life gets at stake this way too.

Customer:

I have talked to the driver over and over about this. I just don't feel that I'm getting a straight answer from him and I'm not sure what else to watch for to know if he's actually doing what he should for his own health and safety. How do I know if his sugar is out of control again?

Dr. Hasan :

You can assess this from his symptoms like he may seems drowsy to you, sweating more than normal, irrelevant talks etc.

Dr. Hasan :

If you notice such symptoms, the sugar levels are likely to be high and this situation can be dangerous.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

Does a company that the patient is employed with have any rights to speak with patient's dr. in a situation like this, when it involves heavy equipment and the safety of not only the patient but others as well?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes but you must talk to your lawyer first and get his opinion because you will not be provided any information if you ask directly.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Hasan :

i mean if you ask directly from doctor.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome, I wish that your problem resolves soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

I appreciate your time, I wish I had more details to give you in order to get a better answer, but this is where I feel I'm not getting straight answers from the driver. He doesn't even give me a definite answer when I ask him where his sugar is testing. He just says 200 something. I feel like I'm no further ahead of where I started. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor