Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have started swimming and ver often face pain in my ear. I…

Hello Doctor - I have...
Hello Doctor - I have started swimming and ver often face pain in my ear. I had the ear cleaned as fungus had filled in. How can i avoid this infuture? Any ear drops i can take?
10/3/2013
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Please write your symptoms in detail?
When did you consult doctor last?
Did doctor prescribe any medicine?
Which procedure was taken?

I consulted my doctor last week. The pain is mainly when i wake up in the morning. the ear which is on the pillow pain. He gave me sterile ear drops and ibuprofe and told me it was fungus in the ear. He did a ear cleaning too. Also, if my ear faces the airconditioner, it hurts.

Do you feel improvement with the treatment?

yes i do - but the pain is not fully gone. plus i feel like there is something in my ear that is causing mild irritation plus the morning pain.

Thank you Amween, for the information,
From your history, it is likely to be infection of the outer or external ear.
It can be bacterial or fungal.
There can be some predisposing factors for it.
These include presence of water in the ear canal as from swimming or from irrigation.
Allergies, skin diseases like eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, injury to the canal from cleaning with swabs or other objects can also predispose to it.
So please avoid cleaning ear canal with cotton buds which may irritate the ear.
Wax may also trap water & makes the skin soft & vulnerable to infection.
You can take a few measures to prevent it.
During taking bath, please take care so that foam of soap or shampoo does not enter the canal.
You can put cotton wool soaked in soft paraffin which will prevent entry of water into ear.
Vaseline would be helpful for this purpose.
During swimming you can use ear caps or silicone plugs.
If you do not feel complete relief, you can take a review by doctor.
Doctor can check for any other infection like a bacterial one.
I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)