How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris C. Your Own Question
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1081
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Chris C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Painful fistula.. any suggestions besides surgery?

This answer was rated:

painful fistula.. any suggestions besides surgery?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Are you suffering from Anal fistula, And for how long?
Are you on any medications?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
Any other health or medical problems?
What is your age?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, and for about 7 years. No. And not severe stress at the moment, but previously I have suffered from severe stress. A few other health problems. I don't believe they're related, but I have gallstones, and asthma. 21 years old.

Hello! With the new minimally invasive methods like Anal Fistula Plug (AFP), Ligation of Intersphincteric Fistula Tract (LIFT) & Video-assisted Anal Fistula Treatment (VAAFT), Anal Fistula can be treated without any cut, wound, pain or fear of incontinence (loss of control over bowel motions).

The method that has shown the best results is the AFP.

All of these options including photos can be found here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me more information on each option?

you can see all the information in addition to photos and diagrams of each procedure here:

Just click this link and it will take you to the page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And any idea on where I can discuss these options with a professional who would do these procedures?

I would print out that page and take it to your regular drs office and discuss the options with him/her if he/she is not familiar with the procedures they should be able to refer you to someone in your particular area that can perform the procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My doctor is out of the question. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Where are you located and I'll see if I can find someone for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Victoria, BC, Canada

This Dr (and professor) does the procedures listed (and teaches other drs to perform them) and would be the best place to start. He is located where you are as well and I'm sure you can get help with his assistance.
Chris C., Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1081
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
Chris C. and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you