Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a sharp pain when I flex my calf muscle. The pain is…

Customer Question
I have a sharp pain...
I have a sharp pain when I flex my calf muscle. The pain is located in the upper portion of the calf. I have no other symptoms. no swelling, redness, or tenderness. The only other thing I have is a few spider veins. What are the odds that it might be a clot?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
10/3/2013
Health Professional: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 4 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Thank you for using Just Answer,I will help you with your question.Calf pains are usually secondary to leg strains,this usually is a musculoskeletal pain .This can occur due to overuse ,muscle tears and injuries,trauma at the back of the calf and plantaris strain.There may be pain at the back of the calf especially with repeated foot flexion.Deep vein Thrombosis is more likely in obese,sedentary individuals and will be accompanied by redness and swelling of the calf.If redness and swelling is also there along with the pain ,your doctor may request for Doppler studies of the leg and calf veins to rule out DVT.I think DVT in your case is unlikely,there may be a few varicose veins present locally.Resting the leg and avoiding overexercise or prolonged standing,use of drugs like Ibubrufen/Advil will help.