Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My 13 year old son has a lump on the back right rib that I…

my 13 year old son...
my 13 year old son has a lump on the back right rib that I just noticed. Its hard to the touch, no pain, and doesn't move
10/3/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Is it lower or upper rib?

mysticdoc :

Does he have normal looking chest?

mysticdoc :

Based on your description, this can be prominent rib bone.

mysticdoc :

This is not concerning.

mysticdoc :

Benign bone tumor is much more common.

mysticdoc :

However, if this has appeared recently, this can be a rapidly growing bone tumor.

mysticdoc :

The risk is low but should be ruled out.

mysticdoc :

Your son needs chest Xrays for further evaluation.

mysticdoc :

Please reply here if you have any further question.

Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Customer:

It is on the right side in the middle. I don't know how long its been there for. He was in at the ER a few weeks ago with fever, very swollen glands, sore throat. They gave him a Mono diagnosis. Could this be related?

mysticdoc :

Ok

mysticdoc :

No this is not related.

mysticdoc :

Mono will not cause that.

mysticdoc :

This is likely a bony prominence.

mysticdoc :

May be the recent sickness has brought this to your attention.

mysticdoc :

Nevertheless, I will suggest a chest xray.

Customer:

When they did his blood work he had high WBC count, leading to the mono. Could he have a "false" positive mono test and I should be concerned about the high WBCs?

mysticdoc :

High wbcs are common with any infection.

mysticdoc :

Mono diagnosis may be correct.

mysticdoc :

This can be followed with repeat blood tests.

Customer:

So a follow up with the family doctor? They want to do ultrasound on his spleen in the next month anyways.

Customer:

Thanks for the info

mysticdoc :

yes correct.

mysticdoc :

Mono can cause enlarged spleen sometimes.

mysticdoc :

So that is the reason for the ultrasound.

mysticdoc :

Probably this is just a harmless finding.

mysticdoc :

But this should b confirmed with his doctor.

Customer:

ok thanks

mysticdoc :

very welcome

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist