Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been suffering vestibular neuronitis for over 12

I have been suffering vestibular neuronitis for over 12 months, and apart from the discomfort of this I am wondering if I can expect it to ever disappear completely. I attend weekly balance classes at local university and do eye gazing plus daily exercises. All of this has helped to s degree, but the endless rocking is hard to deal with both physically and mentally. Very annoying and frustrating. I am in my 70's but very active and involved in many activities, plus much family involvement. For some time it was difficult to manage daily activities, but now once again doing most things. No falls. Would love your opinion. Thankyou. Andrea
Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : yes vestibular neuritis may be a very frustrating diagnosis!
Anthony Bray, MD : It sounds that you are making good progress . Your history already sounds better than some seem to fare..
Anthony Bray, MD : a benzodiazepine such as Valium may help to dampen the intensity of your symptoms. Has this been tried or are you using this currently??
Anthony Bray, MD : when nerves are injured recovery may be slow or non-existent
Anthony Bray, MD : i would advise B- vitamin supplement as being harmless and potentially helpful ( especially folate )
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this information helps!
Anthony Bray, MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Thankyou Dr. Bray. That has been most helpful. I have on occasions taken a very small amount of Valium but not keen to get dependent on same. I will however give the vitamins a try and it's interesting to know that valium can assist with the symptoms. It appears to be a long term problem, but I appear to be on the right track. Patience appears to be the answer while continueing with exercise etc. I now feel happier about using valium which you have recommended.

Hello !!
You may have improvement as the nerve may improve from the inflammation of the causing viral infection . It may be limited in its improvement but some captivity to heal and improve does exist . The myelin sheath that surrounds the nerves may also have been injured by the inflammation and this vital nerve covering may have some capacity to heal.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!
Best regards !!
Anthony Bray MD