Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A sharp pain in the upper left quadrant of my abdomen

developed today. It seems to...
A sharp pain in the upper left quadrant of my abdomen developed today. It seems to be just under my ribs. I went to the local walk-in clinic and they did an EKG and said it wasn't my heart and to watch it.
It's not getting better and hurts more when I take a deep breath. What could it be? Could it be an spleen or pancreas related?
10/2/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Sharp left upper quadrant pain commonly can be due to the muscle spasm related.

mysticdoc :

You may pull the abdominal muscle during exercises, heavy lifting or stretching or during sleeping at faulty posture.

mysticdoc :

Now, the risk of spleen or pancreatic problem also is there.

mysticdoc :

Usually you will have nausea, vomiting or discomfort with food.

Customer:

Okay, so if I don't nausea or vomiting then I am probably good

mysticdoc :

Pancreas related pain usually at the center of the stomach radiating to back.

mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

I mean I do work out a lot and I do some lifting for work.

mysticdoc :

an spleen problem will cause worsening pain and also dizziness due to the blood loss.

mysticdoc :

Ok.

Customer:

So when should I consider going to the ER or something

mysticdoc :

then you do not worry --just pulled a muscle.

mysticdoc :

warm compress, advil should help.

mysticdoc :

Also rest the muscles a bit.

Customer:

Okay but if I get dizzy or nausea and the pain gets worse then i should seek medical attention?

mysticdoc :

Drink plenty of fluids --sports drinks for muscle recuperation.

mysticdoc :

yes absolutely.

mysticdoc :

in that case, you will blood tests and a Ct scan

Customer:

Right, I got a blood test recently and it said aklakine phosphates were high but I am going in for a follow-up tomorrow morning.

mysticdoc :

ok --

mysticdoc :

usually liver enzymes also should be elevated.

Customer:

they were i believe

Customer:

I was mainly concerned if this pain was something I should seek medical attention over.

Customer:

I read that deep breathes and pain in the left side could be spleen related and in need of immediate medical assistence.

mysticdoc :

mild elevation in alkaline phosphatase should not be concerning.

mysticdoc :

just pain usually not concerning.

Customer:

ok good to know

Customer:

thanks!

mysticdoc :

Only worsening pain with other symptoms take some significance.

Customer:

Will do.

mysticdoc :

Also if you do not have any direct trauma, spleen problem is very unlikely.

Customer:

yeah bc when the doc pressed against that area, it didnt hurt

Customer:

ok

mysticdoc :

yes that is good enough to rule that out.

Customer:

good

Customer:

thank you1

mysticdoc :

welcome

mysticdoc :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist