Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I've noticed that for a week now that I have the feeling of

I've noticed that for a week now that I have the feeling of slight dizziness, my vision seems to dance a little. I would relate it to the feeling of being spun around in circles and let go. I will occasionally walk drifting to my left side. Yesterday I had been leaning over for approx a minute, when I stood straight up I went over backwards, almost to the sensation of blacking out but not fainting. Any Ideas?
Susan Ivy :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer /Pearl

Susan Ivy :

There are quite a few conditions that might cause a sensation such as this. But the feeling of the room spinning around you often indicates vertigo, which can be cause by inner ear inflammation. Have you had any head colds in the last month or so?

Susan Ivy :

Also, have you checked your blood pressure when this is occurring?

Customer:

No, I haven't had any colds for quite some time. I had this problem about 2 months ago and had gone away.

Customer:

No, I haven't check my blood pressure. I will check it today though.

Susan Ivy :

Did you take any medication, or did it just go away on it's own?

Customer:

I went away on it's own.

Susan Ivy :

There is a medication called Antivert or Meclizine, that will often relieve this problem, if it is do to inner ear inflammation. And although you can buy this without a prescription, I would recommend you be evaluated by an Ears Nose and Throat Physician. You may see a regular physician first to rule out any neurological problems, blood pressure issues.

Susan Ivy :

(meant 'if due to inner ear iinflammation, above)

Susan Ivy :

Can you check your blood pressure now? If you are having difficult walking or feeling like you will black out, I would really recommend that you have some one drive you to either your doctor or an ER or Urgent Care center for evaluation. There are rare instances where this could be a stroke sign

Customer:

I'm not nauseated from this, I have a good appetite. The episode last evening when I was bent over petting my dog and coming back up really caught me off guard. I didn't faint but lost total balance temporary.

Susan Ivy :

Sometimes that type of situation can happen with orthostatic hypotension, which can result from electrolyte imbalance which could be from a metabolic problem, or could be from something like dehydration.

Customer:

OK. I'll go get checked out.

Susan Ivy :

(bending over, or getting up quickly from a sitting position and dizziness or near blacking out can be a sign of orthostatic hypotension)

Susan Ivy :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Not at this time, Thank you.

Susan Ivy :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate my answer. Also, please feel free to write back and let us know what is found at the health provider visit

Customer:

I will.

Susan Ivy :

You can write back to update at no further charge

Susan Ivy :

Thank you