Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I wonder to why I do not crave sweets of any kind during the…

I wonder to why I...
I wonder to why I do not crave sweets of any kind during the day~yet all night when I get up for the washroom or adjusting the temperature or whatever I can't stop eating cookies~I just crave them~ would this affect my sleep in any way ~I don't feel well and think I am in a depression~I am on Wellbutrin for it~ but this craving is anoying
10/1/2013
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, sugar cravings at night could be product of several factors including:

1- If you have a very strict diet, low fat diet or your eating patterns are irregular, your sugar blood levels could decrease as the day goes on. At nighttime, your sugar blood levels could be extremely extremely low. Your body reacts to that craving sugar .

2-There is a tendency for people who are stressed out or very depressed to experience worse symptoms at nightime . Most people experience some temporary comfort when they eat these sweets.

3-Depression could affect your late night sleep pattern. On the other side, your serotonin levels could drop suddenly sending a brain signal. Your brain reacts to low serotonin levels craving refined carbohydrates or sugar.

Eating sweets will not necessarily affect your sleepy pattern but it can be really unhealthy, producing other complications like gaining weight, increasing your glucose blood levels and increasing your chances of getting diabetes or hypertension in the future.

The best way to manage these craving is eating every 3-5 hours . In that way, your sugar blood levels will not decrease suddenly , specially at night. You should also get healthy snacks like protein or oatmeal bars to eat them or drink one glass of low fat milk if you get any craving at night.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)