Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been having ontant salty phlem that is also a bit

I have been having...
I have been having ontant salty phlem that is also a bit foamy over the last 2 weeks. I have no cough or other issues. Not sure what it is
9/30/2013
kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
kimo31 :

Hello and thank you for your question. I am happy to help you today.

kimo31 :

A couple questions that will help to answer this question.

Customer:

OK

kimo31 :

Do you have any other medical conditions? Have had a cough or shortness of breath associated with this phlegm?

Customer:

No other issues. But the phelgm is pretty contant

kimo31 :

Is the phlegm produced by coughing?

Customer:

No. Not coughing at all. It is more like constanly clearing my throat and It comes up

kimo31 :

Any other symptoms with the phlegm? Particularly, sore throat or fever?

Customer:

No fever or sore throat. Beside the Phlegm I feel fine

kimo31 :

Excellent. Well I am glad to hear that everything else seems to be going well.

kimo31 :

Have there been any changes to your appetite or diet?

Customer:

No changes on either

kimo31 :

The increased saltiness in one's mouth may be caused by dehydration. Given the information that we have reviewed here, this does not sound like COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, or infection are causing this symptom of salty phlegm at this time.

Customer:

Its also foamy or frothy like

kimo31 :

Again, I would consider increasing water in your diet to improve this type of symptom as a first-line approach. Typically this type of sputum or phlegm that originates in the lower respiratory tract of the lungs could be caused by an infection, COPD, or other respiratory ailment. In this particular situation you have described no indicators of a lower respiratory source and it is more likely that you may be dehydrated, which would respond to increased fluid and water intake.

kimo31 :

Fluids that can contribute to dehydration or caffeinated beverages, soda, coffee, and alcohol. If you smoke, then stopping smoking will also help. While stopping smoking it may seem to get worse initially but as your body recovers it will improve.

kimo31 :

Have you developed any changes to your urine, dark urine, or strong odor to your urine? Any white plaques in your mouth?

Customer: I haven't noticed any of that. I do try to drink a lot of water.
kimo31 :

Any congestion or sinus pressure, runny nose?

Customer: No . Before that phlem started I did have a little sinus congestion but not now
kimo31 :

OK good, I would recommend continuing to increase your water intake. If none of those are present then you may not have a clinically significant level of dehydration. I would consider the inflammation in your sinuses as a cause to your salty phlegm. This area does drain to your mouth and if you've recently had illness, it could still be inflammed and be causing your symptoms.

Customer: ok
kimo31 :

A great way to clear this is to use nasal saline rinse that can be purchase over the counter in most pharmacies. Doing this regularly may also help prevent the salty phlegm from recurring. If you notice a fever, congestion or any other symptoms, I would recommend presenting to your primary care physician for advice if nasal steroids would be of help with this or if there is any need to consider antibiotics at that time.

kimo31 :

I am happy to have helped you today! If I have answered your question, please rate these commentaries with positive feedback. Your rating reflects on my answering your question directly. I am available to you in the future, after you have tried saline irrigation or have been seen by your primary care physician.
If you have further questions on your return, I may be requested by listing your question through my profile or by requesting me in the stem of your question.

kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Hi Scott and thank you for the excellent feedback! I recently worked with you in regard to your concern about experiencing salty phlegm. I wanted to follow up with you and see how things have progressed.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again. You can request me specifically when asking future questions by posting them from my profile. I look forward to providing you with the best experience possible!
kimo31
kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)