Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I started with itching around my bra line yesterday at work

i started with itching around my bra line yesterday at work in the OR. Then I noticed a bumpy rash around my braline and breasts. The nape of my neck stated to itch. There is a rash there also. By the end of the day, a rash developed between my legs. I have some on my hands this morning and a bump near my eye. My groin area is now rashy. Seems like it is spreading and I am terribly itchy and getting worse. Now I am really stressed. Thought about going to the ER. Even my head itches and my palms as well as the soles of my feet. These bumps are red, bumpy, some are circles and welt like, some small.
Help! I took a bath in baking soda...didn't help at all.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Did such symptoms started from yesterday, Were you healthy before?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Is itching severe at night?
Does any other family member or your pet has same symptoms?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, symptoms started yesterday. The medications I take are levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I also take ambien at night a couple of times a week. I have been on these meds for a long time. The only new med I started taking last week was zoloft for stress and to quit smoking.

I do have a dog and cat but they do not have fleas. I dont think they are the problem, but I wouldn't rule it out until I figure this out. No other family member has this problem. Itching is not severe at night. Just when I'm awake. The itching did make me uncomfortable last night, but not anymore than when I am awake. I work in the operating room as a surgical tech, but I wear non latex gloves and my gown is latex free.

Dear Francine, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
These symptoms can occur due to Scabies, It is a infection caused by a mite, Sarcoptes scabiei.
Scabies burrow in the skin and leave clusters of bumps. Also after several weeks of infestation, itching increases in intensity, sometimes preventing sleep or awakening the sufferer.
Scabies is treated with these medications-
1. Application of Permethrin 5 percent (Elimite), it has chemicals that kill scabies. Permethrin is generally considered safe for adults of all ages.
2. An oral medication, Ivermectin.
Also doctor can advise for Crotamiton (Eurax). It is a non-chemical medication and is applied once a day for two to five days.
These all medications are to be prescribed by doctor.
You should use hot, soapy water to wash all clothes, towels and bedding you used at least three days before treatment. Also you should dry with high heat. Dry-clean items you can't wash at home.
Also it should be noted that Scabies is contagious and can spread quickly through close physical contact in a family, child care group, school class or nursing home. Usually doctor often advise treatment for entire families to eliminate the mite.
Other possibility is- Urticaria. The most common cause of hives is some type of allergic reaction. This can be to food, medications or some unknown exposure. It could also be a eczema(Dermatitis), This is a hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) which occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & itchy.
For the time, please follow these measures-
-Use of Calamine lotion and cool oatmeal baths relieves itching.
-Take tablet Zyrtec once a day. .
-Apply cream containing hydrocortisone. It will reduce te bumps.
-Take tab Mortin 400mg twice a day. This will reduce inflammation of skin.
I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if its scabies, how in the heck would I get scabies? I clean my house all the time but I do live in the woods. Just wondering? Is it possible to contract these in the OR. Many patients we have are homeless.

Francine, Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.
I can understand your concern.
Well, Scabies can spread rapidly in under crowded conditions where close body contact is frequent Such as nursing homes, extended-care facilities, are often sites of scabies outbreaks.
Other possibility is Urticaria. The most common cause of hives is some type of allergic reaction from food or environment.
You should not delay, and see your doctor at the earliest.
A thorough clinical evaluation is necessary. For the time, you should use the medications as advised in previous post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question...If it is either of these issues, how long does it take to clear up? My job could be affected next week. Will these medications you suggested relieve the itching? Thank you. You are being very helpful to me while I am waiting to contact my primary care physician or dermatologist. Not sure which one I should see...suggestions?

Francine, Thanks for asking follow up question.
I am happy to answer you further.
It may take up to one week, for symptoms to get resolve completely.
Though, you would find improvement from day two.
I would recommend that, you can start with your primary care physician, and if required, they may refer you to Dermatologist.
In then mean time, please follow above mentioned home care measures.
Yes, above medications, would relieve itching.
I wish for your good health and Take care.