Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Is a second generation hiv antibody test reliable at 25 days

post-exposure?...
is a second generation hiv antibody test reliable at 25 days post-exposure?
9/25/2013
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

sorry, i'm back

Dr. Brims :

Yes, it is reliable

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

but everyone online says that second generation tests aren't reliable until 42-60 days

Dr. Brims :

That is not true, they are not 100% reliable until later but that doesn't mean they are not reliable at 25 days

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

so how reliable are they at 25 days, i'm talking 2nd generation tests, not 3rd or 4th, do you have any data or studies on when 2nd generation tests are reliable like 10 days: 20% 20days: 50%, any data like that?

Dr. Brims :

An HIV test is usually conclusive at 12 weeks or 84 days (3 months), post last risk exposure

Dr. Brims :

The test you had was an antibody test, correct?

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yes, a second generation antibody test

Dr. Brims :

Okay, do you have anxiety disorder?

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

no i don't

Dr. Brims :

Okay, the antibodies may take time to develop, so if you are still concerned, you may re-test in 30 days, and again in 60 days

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

yeah i already know that, that's not the question i'm asking, i'm asking how reliable is the 2nd generation test at 25 days, do you have an answer for that?

Dr. Brims :

It is 95% reliable at 4 weeks, which is 28 days, I do not have specific data for 25 days

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

where did you find 95% at 4 weeks? can you link that to me?

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

it doesn't say anything about 28 days or that it was a second generation test

Dr. Brims :

ELISA is a second generation test

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

where is the 28 days that you were talking about?

Dr. Brims :

Give me a few minutes

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-juof6a25- :

thanks, ***** ***** you working hard on this one

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi this information is very incorrect An Elisa test is not second generation specifically and this is incorrect information. Please see this linkhttp://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/insite?page=basics-01-01

what about second generation test, i'm 25 days post exposure and the test was negative, how reliable is this?

It is not reliable. If you want a reliable test, get the duo at 28 days which is the 4th gen test, the DNA or RNA pcr test- which is reliable now at 26 days or you can do the 2nd gen test at 3 mos then 6 mos.
Good luck
Please leave positive feedback if this helped.

today i actually submitted blood for the duo 4th gen, so i submitted it 25 days post exposure, if this is negative (i know it hasn't been 28 days), how reliable is that?

99.4%
Please leave positive feedback if this helped
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

what do you think my chances of having contracted it are, i had protected vaginal and anal with a woman and unprotected oral 3 times over the course of the night, i'm so stressed out about this, please offer some guidance, thank you

This is a separate question with stats I am happy to share, but it is not connected to the one you posted. Site rules
Did you give oral sex or receive?
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor