Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have what seems to be a small inguinal hernia on my left

side for almost 6 years...
I have what seems to be a small inguinal hernia on my left side for almost 6 years. It doesn't seem to be getting bigger and causes me no pain. Only a little inconvenience with lifting. Just a bit annoying. I was wondering if I should get it taken care of or watchful wait. I also heard about a minor procedure for a 'sportsmans' hernia?
9/25/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hello
Any other medical problems or medications?

a little bursitis in my left hip. No none.

Sorry, right hip, not left.

No problem
Ron, how large is this?
Do you wear supportive garments?

It is small. a little more than a marble maybe. I have been wearing a truss lately in the hope it would go away. I have also been dieting and now weigh 180 at 6'1''. annoying to get in better shape and still have this little problem.

thanks
well hernia repair now is a pretty simple procedure- especially now that there is a laproscopic procedure.
That being said, in general with very small stable hernias it is better to watch and wait, particularly if it doesn't really bother you.
If they start growing larger and or become more painful, then you can fix it.
Because getting the procedure done is not without any risk- you can have a reaction to anesthesia, bowel obstruction etc

I hope that this answered your question
please leave positive feedback if this helped! :-)

what about that lady german doctor who seems to call these sportsmans hernias and indicates some minor procedure for these small hernias, don't know what exactly. are you familiar with this, would it be appropriate? p.s. I understand your answer but was hoping you would have more info on this other non mesh non tension repair whatever it is. :)

I am not sure what you are talking about this is a sportsman hernia:

Sportsman's hernia is a debilitating condition which presents as chronic groin pain. A tear occurs at the external oblique which may result in an occult hernia. The definition, investigation and treatment of this condition remain unclear.

Guess I got that description wrong then. Any chance for me to get it to go away without surgery?

usually these do not resolve on their own- unless you are obese and it is fat pooching through. But it sounds like you are pretty fit now..

Well I was hoping... This occurred when I original lost weight down to 175 and then lifted a large old tv that I barely reach the corners on and stumbling thru the house to the car with. Later I noticed the bulge when doing xmas tree decorating.

so nothing I can do to resolve it without surgery? any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Sorry, but no
The garments can help, but it doesn't go away on its own- it is a defect of the abdominal wall..

I hope that this answered your question
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
thanks ron!
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor