Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have had this for about 3 years now. I'm achy and stiff

all over all the time...
I have had this for about 3 years now. I'm achy and stiff all over all the time, my neck hurts, shoulders, my legs, and not only that my lower back hurts so bad that I can't stand up for more then 5 minutes and when I do, like cooking dinner or whatever, the front of my legs start to ache too and it's so unbearable I have to sit down.. not only that I get that flu feeling.. I'm tired all the time. My quality of life has really went down the tubes and I have no idea what the heck is the matter with me.. I have trouble sleeping, it's just awful! I don't feel depressed at all. I'm 51 years old and I feel like I'm 90!
9/23/2013
Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Charogat :

The first two things I'd think you want to have checked out are Lyme Disease and Fibromyalgia.

Charogat :

Fibromyalgia is a clinical diagnosis, based on a number of different factors.

Charogat :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079 talks more about it.

Charogat :

Sorry - the first link was not click-able as far as I can tell.

Customer:

Okay well they told me that I have Fibromyalgia and they did a whole bunch of blood work by a Rhuematologist actually I've seen 2 of them and my sister has Lupus and I've been checked for that but they said I didn't have that either... but it's been a year or little over since I've been checked for that... my sisters swears I have Lupus lol

Charogat :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lyme-disease/DS00116 This is the link for Lyme Disease

Customer:

They tried me on Cymbalta and that stuff made me cry all the time.. and all the others I had bad reactions... so I don't know what to do

Charogat :

Have you discussed with your rhematologist(s) any other possibilities for treatment?

Customer:

thank you for the links

Charogat :

No problem.

Customer:

well they said maybe a pain specialist but you know I'm not the pain pill person

Charogat :

Another thing that I've actually heard people have success with in Fibromyalgia is accupuncture.

Charogat :

A pain specialist might actually have some recommendations aside from pills. (Please forgive all the typos -- my computer is giving me some trouble).

Customer:

oh okay... but what aobut that flu feeling that I have all the time... if I don't take 4 Motrin in the morning and 4 Motrin at night I am so sick it's not even funny and I'm worried about taking all this Motrin

Charogat :

There might be suggestions for various modalities, including (but not limited to) TENS, ultrasound etc.

Charogat :

Those symptoms can also be attributed to the fibromyalgia, but, it still might make sense for you to be tested for Lyme

Customer:

that flu feeling is what's got me worried... Question.. Does people with Fibro get that flu feeling.. Does Fibro do that?

Customer:

okay I will do that

Charogat :

Fibro can do that.

Charogat :

Regardless, I would check out anything else as well.

Customer:

Well Fibro is terrible! :( Sometimes I get so over whelmed with it I just sit down and cry

Charogat :

I am not sure if I missed you saying how long this is going on - the flu feeling part.

Charogat :

Also, where do you live?

Customer:

I live in California and it all started about 3 years ago but it got worse and that flu feeling started about 2 years ago

Charogat :

I'm so sorry :( it IS pretty terrible. It reminds me of the 80s when Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was diagnosed, and many of the patients were told there was no help because they were making it up....

Customer:

I've been told that too

Charogat :

Have you had any other abnormalities in your blood work?

Charogat :

Any family history of cancer?

Charogat :

Do you drink? smoke? use drugs (aside from motrin)?

Customer:

not anything that they told me, they told me I was healthy is all they said and that I have Fibro

Charogat :

Speaking of which -- too much motrin is not a good idea!

Customer:

I smoke that's all but I do not drink

Customer:

I know, what do I do about the Motrin thing?

Charogat :

We need to figure out a better way to control your pain.

Customer:

I know it...

Charogat :

I think that going to a pain specialist is one way. You can also find out about going to a physical therapist. They might have some helpful modalities.

Customer:

the Motrin helps with the pain and the flu feeling but the flu feeling most and that's why I take it

Customer:

okay Doctor... well I can make an appointment and go from there, but taking all this Motrin has me really worried but I have to take something or I'm sicker then a dog

Charogat :

You can also speak to your doctor about whether a COX2 inhibitor (has some of the same properties as motrin - but missing others) such as Celebrex, might be a better choice for now.

Customer:

oh okay well thank you Doctor for all your help... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this thing because I just hate living like this... it's affecting my marriage and everything.. my poor husband tries to understand...

Charogat :

I'm glad you at least have that support!

Customer:

He's had an affair on me and I worried about Hep C or something.. my god what if he's got something and passed it to me... do you think my symptoms that I explained could be something like that?

Charogat :

Oh no! :(

Charogat :

I don't think so.

Customer:

oh okay whew! lol Well thank you Doctor I'm satisfied with your help.. I guess we are all done? :)

Charogat :

But I would look into Lyme Disease. It is often called "the great imitator" because it has so many syptoms that are similar to other conditions

Customer:

ahhh okay I will do that for sure then!

Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
I'm pretty sure that by now you haven't been able to find many answers, but I do hope you are on the path to getting them.
I just wanted to send this message because I'd been thinking about you.
G-d Bless
Charogat
Charogat
Charogat, Doctor