How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 31152
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a 40 year old smoker-female- my doctor wants me to go on

This answer was rated:

I'm a 40 year old smoker-female- my doctor wants me to go on antidepressants due to divorce, mother is dieing, work problems all in the last 2 months , all I do is sleep & cry, cant concentrate, suicidal thoughts, I don't want to because I tried twice in the past & it made me worst, once 4 years ago & once 10 years before that, both times I hit rock bottom & attempted suicide.. my medical center at work says I HAVE to do as the doctor suggests of they will not pay me while I am off,,, what drug can I trust? what will be my best bet?
Hi--what medications were tried before and are you getting any counseling now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't remember what all the meds were before , I know the kind 4 years ago was celexa , & yes , I spent an hour & a half with my councilor today
OK--what did your couselor have to say about this Shona?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My counselor just expresses that he can't believe how strong I have been & understands that I've reached my limit. He seemed reluctant to have me leave & be alone all weekend - he didnt really give an opinion if I should or shouldn't take antidepressants
And your doctor is not a psychiatrist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No , just a regular family medical doctor - it just seems I will have no choice but to try meds again & therefore I would really like some insight as to what would be a better fit for me. It seems no one cares - just wants to write a prescription & sit back & wait to see what happens ! I am going thru divorce , my mother has about 4 months to live , I am a heavy equipment operator .. So a very safety sensitive position , I live about aXXXXXfrom my nearest family member ... I have a 22 year old son to worry about , 2 dogs , 2 mortgages & numerous other responsibilities , I don't need to be in a suicidal situation but some days it's difficult. I have too many ppl depending on me , I make the most $$ in my family & everyone needs me to help with expenses for the last months of moms life
I understand Shona. I have some recommendations but you must understand that that's all I can do and it would be up to your doctor to prescribe what I suggest--will that be sufficient for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes .. I will take your recommendations to him & ask to discuss those particular medications
OK--I would try what's called an MAO inhibitor antidepressant like Nardil or Parmate. Those would be least likely to bring you further down. If your doctor wouldn't consider those, I would suggest Ritalin or Concerta
Dr. Chip and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you