Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have red, non-painful bumps on my penis. They are painless

even to touch, but I...
I have red, non-painful bumps on my penis. They are painless even to touch, but I have had some pretty bad itching on my penis during this time as well. The itching feels like a fungal infection. They have been there for over 3 weeks now without changing much, but a few more have appeared. It seems to be related to sex with my girlfriend. We had sex a few days ago and within an hour, a couple new bumps had developed. I was worried at first that it was herpes, but from reading it seems that most people that will have symptoms get them within 2 weeks of infection and my girlfriend and I have been together about 9 months being sexually active for about the last 6. I stopped seeing the last girlfriend I had before her 1 year ago. Also, every picture of herpes I can find shows white blistering and soreness that ruptures. These have done nothing like that and don't look like that either. Plus they have been there for over 3 weeks and it seems that if it was herpes, they should have changed by now.
9/20/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD

This is something for which you should get tested.

This does not sound like herpes but it may possibly be HPV or warts.

It can happen that STD's like herpes or warts are not transmitted for a long time as the infected person is not shedding initially but once there is some shedding of the virus infection of the partner occurs.

Hence you need to get tested for STD.

It can also be fungal infections, since these also can be transmitted from one partner to another.

Best to go to an STD clinic and get tested.

Take care.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD

Thanks for your advice. I went to see a doctor a few hours after you responded.

He agreed that it was most likely not herpes or HPV. He said it was a fungus and prescribed 2 creams (Nystatin and Flucinonide) and a pill (Fluconazole). They seems to be helping so far. After only a couple of days the steroid cream has reduced the inflammation a bit and the intense burning itch is relatively under control. I do have a couple of additional questions though that I will also ask my new doctor. After reading a bit on-line, I realize I should also mention that I am circumcised.

First, the past couple of mornings I have been awoken early by INTENSE itching. I reapply the creams and that helps except that this morning when it stopped it almost instantaneously on all but one part of my penis just below the head on the underside which continued to itch pretty bad for a little while. I assume that that is a normal condition for a fungal infection after only 2 days of treatment?

Second, the doctor advised me to apply the two creams together twice daily (morning and night), but I have had to apply them 3 times the last couple of days to control the itching. Is there a significant danger of over dosage of either the anti-fungal or the corticosteroid?

Third and most importantly, as I said before, the steroid cream has reduced the inflammation of the bumps/lesions/blisters (not sure what the appropriate term would be for these) sufficiently so that a small dark center is visible on most of them. As I said before, my girlfriend recently started to shave her pubic area. I distinctly remember being "stabbed" several times on and about the head of my penis during contact by the stubble. I seem to remember the bumps appearing soon after followed soon (several days) by the intense itching/burning sensation that is familiar to me from my experiences with athlete's foot. It started with approximately 4 bumps, 2 on the top of the head and 2 much larger below them on the shaft below the head that converged into one relatively large and elongated one. Subsequent bumps appeared later on the "high traffic" and more sensitive areas following almost immediately (hours or a day) further "usage."

Caution... laymen's theory ahead....

I wanted to run what I think happened by you and get an educated opinion. I had normal or possibly excessive growth of fungus on my skin that was asymptomatic. The "stabbing" incident(s) and continued, probably excessive, usage caused the fungus to enter the skin through what appear to be small, shallow punctures in the affected areas. The smaller bumps that do not appear to have the puncture are mostly located in the "high traffic" areas were the fungus entered small friction abrasions that were noticeable and present. In short, the "trauma" caused an otherwise harmless or mild fungal growth to manifest into a subcutaneous (I know that mean under the skin, but I'm not sure weather it is specific to just below the top layers or complete penetration) infection which produced the relative severity of the symptoms.

Finally the question. What do you think of my armature diagnosis?

Thank you again for your time and I apologize for my ignorance and the long-winded questions.

Hello Chris,

Your reasoning makes sense.

But this would be more true of a bacterial infection. Bacteria would penetrate through punctures and cause infection.

In case of fungal infection, it occurs in two ways. One is that a new fungus is introduced to the area from outside. The second way is when our immunity comes down, allowing normally present fungus to multiply.

In your case, it is likely that the fungus came from your girlfriend, or from contact with your hand, towels, etc.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Thank you again for your input! I was awoken again very early this morning by the itching that, even after reapplication of the creams persisted in a couple of areas. Is this normal in the case of a fungal infection? I only have the very bad itching in the very early morning. It stays quiet for the most part throughout the day.

Just a quick update...

The little itching that had persisted until my last reply is now gone after taking a shower. I have not yet reapplied the creams and I have no more itching. I do have some mild discomfort probably as a result of rubbing it.

fungal infections can cause a lot of itching.

You can take Benadryl cap or any other antihistaminic like Alavert which will control the itching.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD