Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Have a pulsing in head near right ear that wont go away; calms

Have a pulsing in head near right ear that won't go away; calms down but not completely gone. Feels like its clogging my ear like a gurgling sensation

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge fluid trickling in throat, cough, headache, fever, nasal bleeding etc?

Customer:

For the last three days consistently, but have had off and on in the last two years. Appeared to have been brought on by elevated blood pressure, but this time is different. Blood pressure medication has not made it stop.

Dr. Hasan :

Customer:

No

Dr. Hasan :

Your blood pressure reading?

Customer:

Don't have my blood pressure meter with me, but this morning it was 128/93

Dr. Hasan :

If you pinch your nose and blow air in closed mouth, does that make a difference?

Dr. Hasan :

How frequently this sound is in both ears?

Customer:

A little, but pulsing has resumed. It's normally always in the right ear; occasionally (every three to four months) appears over both ears (but the pulsing is always on the right side). When over both ears, the ears feel like something is resting on them, try to clog them.

Dr. Hasan :

Which specialist you have visited and any tests done?

Dr. Hasan :

I am myself an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist and wants to help you.

Customer:

ENT and had MRA and other inner office scoping done. He thought it to be tinnutis at one time, but was never definitely diagnosed because of other things going on at the time. This time, it started out with discomfort/pain in the back and top right side of head, then dulled with movement, to eventually turn in to pulsing. I had a nodule aspirated in my thyroid last March and have problems since.

Dr. Hasan :

How are your thyroid hormone levels and does that sound feels like heart beat?

Customer:

Doctors say that my thyroid hormone levels are fine, but the pulsing does feel exactly like heart beat.

Dr. Hasan :

Tympanometry test done? Your haemoglobin level? Any diagnosed heart disease?

Customer:

No tympanometry test done, not sure of my hemoglobin level, but was told that two days ago that I may have experienced congestive heart failure and am scheduled to have a stress test in the morning. Since that diagnosis, pulsing has been continuous, and have experience fire inside left leg (was extreme right after diagnosis when walking home from hospital then eased up to pain in just the thigh ... went back and was told it was either sciatica or neuropathy ... have had the heat feeling twice since then, in the same leg ... which then just disappears. My father had CHF.

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem and i can understand your stress and anxiety due to all these illnesses.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Hasan :

what you have is called pulsatile tinnitus. It is different from the simple tinnitus.The main causes of pulsatile tinnitus are Low hemoglobin, Secondary to hyperthyroidism, High jugular bulb in the middle ear, Aberrant internal carotid artery , Glomus tumors, Tortuous intracranial venous sinuses, high blood pressure and heart failure. Anyhow it was for your guidance. As per your symptoms and tests done so far the possible causes in your case can be CHF or fluid behind ear drum.

Dr. Hasan :

Fluid behind ear drum is less likely cause but it is possible.

Dr. Hasan :

CHF is well known cause ad so is the blood pressure but having it primarily in one ear makes them a little less likely but still in medicine everything is possible. Moreover it is not likely to get this sound at 129/93.

Dr. Hasan :

Very very high blood pressure like 180/110 can cause this.

Dr. Hasan :

Besides all this, the point is that what you should do now.

Dr. Hasan :

First of all you should check with your ENT that has he done your tympanometry or not.

Dr. Hasan :

Feeling of blocked ear like on a plane or being under water is a feature of fluid behind ear drum.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover you should proceed for your stress test and under care of your cardiologist, you might get rid of this sound (provided this is the cause).

Dr. Hasan :

As far as what you can do yourself is concerned, you can take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily, it can help with the fluid issue.

Dr. Hasan :

There are OTC medicines for this problem but they are not supposed to be taken by heart patients.

Dr. Hasan :

Your thoughts and any question?

Customer:

You've said a lot; is this correctable? Congestive heart failure is caused by what and is it correctable? I've never been diagnosed with a heart problem and have not recently experienced any shortness of breath. But I do get fluid retention. Am currently taking a herbal cleansing for 20 days and am in day 11. Only eating fruits and vegetables and drinking distilled water. However, because of other problems, not resting as much as I need to. Could this be attributable to what I'm feeling?

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

You're welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this is manageable, It's not necessary to have shortness of breath in CHF in early stages.

Dr. Hasan :

Retaining fluid can simply be related to CHF.

Dr. Hasan :

So yes CHF can be your cause of this sound.

Dr. Hasan :

You can continue herbal cleansing and can eat fruits and vegetables but they will help you or not, we can't comment on this.

Dr. Hasan :

I am talking with regard to CHF and this sound.

Customer:

Ok ... just wanted to fill you in on what I've been doing

Customer:

How do I manage CHF?

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you

Dr. Hasan :

First you need to get a diagnosis and then your doctor is likely to prescribe you water pills. They will help you in getting rid of excessive fluid in your body and resultantly there will be less load on heart and you will feel better.

Dr. Hasan :

The second point is your blood pressure control.

Dr. Hasan :

Buy a home monitor soon and daily monitor your blood pressure and keep its record.

Dr. Hasan :

Once you get a controlled blood pressure , it will again help your CHF becase it is from where CHF started.

Customer:

Alright; have a blood pressure monitor but have not been using it daily or recording readings, but will begin to from this point on. I took blood pressure medication today, but it has not stopped or helped the pulsing? Any thoughts?

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you are you on BP pills ?

Customer:

For at least four years now.

Dr. Hasan :

This means that blood pressure alone is not the cause of your pulsing.

Dr. Hasan :

but CHF can be.

Customer:

OK ... then I guess I need to follow up with the cardiologist for manageability if this is indeed what I have. Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes one very important thing.

Dr. Hasan :

Just relax and hope for the best because you are going to be fine soon. Don't stress yourself :)

Customer:

Thank you very much for your time, this information, and your encouragement. It is greatly appreciated! Bless you!

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

God Bless you, Regards

Customer:

Thank you; can I obtain a transcript for informational purposes of our conversation?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you can visit this page to read it or you can copy paste this chat to MS word.

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome

Customer:

Again, thank you and God Bless you. Best regards!

Dr. Hasan :

:0

Dr. Hasan :

:)