Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I am a 32 year man. One week ago I slipped over, my feet

Hi
Im Ray, I am a 32 year man. One week ago I slipped over, my feet came forwards out from under me, I was holding something in my left hand so fell backwards and slightly to the right - I hit my right elbow on the ground very hard. The impact was not on the "main central bump" of the elbow but rather on the inside smaller bump.
I had an X ray the following morning when it was very swollen - there was no bone damage. The following day I had a large bruise appear around the area, 20cm up my forearm and about 10cm up towards my armpit. The bruise and swelling disappeared over the next 2 days.
It is a week later and the pain is still bad. When at rest the arm is fine, no pain and I have no numbness at all - not in arm or fingers and never did have any numbness. But when I straighten my arm there is pain in and around that "smaller inner bump", and also when I fully bend the arm the same pain. Also it hurts when i touch it. When I have my right arm bent in an L shape in front of me it hurts to touch the inside of the elbow, right on the smaller inner bump.
Also the pain is much worse when I for example try to do a push up - in fact I cannot do a push up because of the pain.
My concern is - could this be ligament or tendon damage? Or is this just bruising that needs time to heal?
Thank you for your help
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Do you have any weakness in the forearm?
Is there any swelling now at that point?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there is no swelling now, this has completely gone.

No there is no weakness, just pain, and this pain stops me doing the action I attempt. Not extreme pain maybe 4/10.

But if I try a fast action like a throw then the pain is more sharp and more like 8/10.

Thanks

Thank you for the information.
As the X ray did not show any fracture, there can be soft tissue injury like tendon, ligaments or muscle.
It will likely need more time to heal.
Sometimes, it can take a few weeks.
An MRI can be helpful to have a detail picture.
You need to avoid the activities which precipitates the pain.
You can apply heat in addition to pain killer.
I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So if it is a tendon or ligament injury, is there a risk that I might damage it further? Can a tendon or ligament get bruised? I am worried that if a tendon or ligament is torn or broken this will take a lot longer or may need surgery - or am I worrying too much???

Sorry I dont know enough about how the elbow works to know how bad this is. And I am in Thailand - so if it is bad I will need to fly back!

It does not seem that the injury is that bad to require surgery.
As you do not have weakness, swelling & can move the forearm, there is unlikely to be torn tendon.
Over activity can delay the healing.
You need to give more time & avoid those activities like push ups.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it better to ice it or to put heat on it? And should I do this as much as possible or just for an hour a day or what?

I have never had a injury like this before! Sorry for all the questions.

At this stage ice would not be helpful.
It is more helpful in early stage of injury.
Heat or warm towel can be applied for 15 to 20 min, 3-4 times in a day.