Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have the same question, I am in a healing a torn meniscus:

I have the same question...
I have the same question, I am in a walker healing a torn meniscus: "protective weight bearing." How much weight? I worked in PT for a number of years so I know about most of the terminology, but this one is new to me.
Placing a limp leg on the scale I get 13-15 pounds. Say 10% of my weight. I would call that "foot flat.' Should I try for foot-flat, NWB, toe touch or what?
Anne
9/16/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello Anne,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

The protective weight bearing means walking with a knee brace. There are many types of knee brace available. Usually with a torn meniscus, the brace recommended is with steel bars on both the sides with the hinge. The brace transmits the weight from thigh to leg without putting much pressure on the injured knee (thus termed protective weight bearing). Usually no assisting device like walker or an elbow crutch or a stick is advised, with a knee brace. But some orthopedic surgeon may recommend walker for first 10 days and than a crutch for next 10 days (termed partial weight bearing) after which no assisting device is needed. These recommendations of assisted devices with a knee brace (protective weight bearing) is dependent on the severity of the symptoms like pain and swelling.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

I am in shock. When I first went to urgent care they sent me to the medical store for an immobilizer, which as you know is not a brace.

When I saw the orthopedist later, after the tests were done, I asked him about continuing with the immobilizer or some other brace; he demurred, indicating the cost of a "fancy brace," and indicated that I didn't have to continue with the immobilizer.

Your answer is specific and helpful, yet I have been hopping around for a month with less than perfect control of putting weight on that leg.

I know you can't comment on the work of another professional, other than supposing, as I do, that either he suspected a very minor tear or that at my age it didn't matter anyway.

Anne

Hello Anne,

This is likely to a minor tear. An associated osteoarthritis (degenerative or age related arthritis) is usually concomitant. Thus following measures collectively would be recommended to treat it;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

7) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

All these measures are likely to strengthen the knee and have full control over it.

It is privilege assisting you.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)