Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a mass inflation in my lower back. Extreme tension

I have a mass inflation in my lower back. Extreme tension and inflation in the pelvic and lower pelvic area. Puffy pouches in my upper back. A sensation of streching in the grions and pelvis. A sensation of extreme heaviness and pressure. Problem started since 1999. Started gradually however now it became permanent increses and decreses in tensity but it is always there. Suffering from halitosis, lip blessing red eyes and dryess. Monthly cycle stopped since three months. Doctors say there is nothing wrong with me.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

What are the investigations done for your symptoms?
Do you have vaginal discharge, pain during sex, constipation / diarrhea?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't . I have done an MRI, CT Scan, Ultrasound, Blood tests, stool tests. The doctors concentrated on the gastrointestinal track nothing elses.

Did the MRI of pelvic floor and a pelvis show any abnormality?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The doctors have not informed me and it was not their focus so i don't know.

One of reason of this kind of pain is pelvic floor problems and weakness. Several organic and functional disorders of the urinary bladder, reproductive tract, anorectum, and the pelvic floor musculature cause pelvic pain and back pain. One of the cause to be considered for your pain is levator ani syndrome. Ask your physician to consider this entity and get the following investigations;

1) defecography,

2) pelvic MRI

3) nerve-conducting velocities and needle-electromyographic studies are used to help evaluate compression or entrapment neuropathy and pelvic floor function.

The treatment is following;

1) electrogalvanic stimulation,

2) biofeedback training,

3) digital massage of the levator ani muscles

4) sacral nerve stimulation

5) physical therapy for the pelvic floor muscles

Please read about this on this resource;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch020/ch020g.html

Pelvic congestion syndrome, Pelvic floor relaxation disorders, Pelvic floor dysfunction too need to be considered for the pain. Though treatment is essentially same.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much doctor. I believe your answer makes alot of sense rather than attributing everything to my colon. Do you recomend any other tests to diagnose my case?

The tests we discussed above would be good enough to diagnose the issue. You may even start the treatment to see the relief in treatment. You may consult an MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation for the treatment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One last question, why is there a bulge in my lower back? Is there any medication I can take now to reliefe the pain before going to the specialits?

The bulge can be due to muscle spasm and associated spine deformity. This is likely to be reversible completely, though MRI would be further able to confirm it. Following can meanwhile help till you see the specialist;

1) Warm sitz bath
2) Ibuprofen
3) Deep electrotherapy at physical therapy center
4) Physical therapy
5) Acupuncture